Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First hunting season with my new NEF 500. Went to range after purchasing and rear sight fell apart. Season was near so I just installed a Tasco red dot laying around. Worked pretty well. Here are the photo's of opening morning. Filled my tags from same stand.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
How far away were they when you shot them? What loads were you using? I bet they dropped like a rock.

Zachary

·
Super Moderator
51,252 Posts
Congrats!! ;) The sights on the 500 Handi leave a bit to be desired, specially the plastic front sight, I'm glad they don't use em on all of em. :-\

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
I'd say you done good!

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Zachary said:
How far away were they when you shot them? What loads were you using? I bet they dropped like a rock.

Zachary
Well let's see, the buck was approximately 125 yards, quartering away and I hit him a bit too far back. He went approx 100 yards and dropped before he left the cornfield. The two does were approximately 50 yards away and I hit both perfectly. They still went about 20 yards. I was a bit surprised they did that, especially after seeing the wound channel.

Loads for all were factory Ultramax 325 grain JHP at 1500 per the box label. Now I also reloaded a few rounds with Hornandy XTP 350 grain JHP over 40.5 grains of H110 and it is possible I may have had a couple of those rounds mixed in during the excitement. For next season, I will be experimenting with some other loads. I think a 275 grain might actually be better.

Sights on the 500 was a tasco red dot. I have received my new sight from NEF but have not taken time to reinstall. I am very pleased with the end results of the hunt, but did think they wouldn't have traveled so far. Especially with good hits, although the buck was a bit far back. All in all a great little rifle and the recoil was not too bad at all.

·
Super Moderator
51,252 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have one of this bad boys myself, and i'm not to happy with the sights myself. my ? is can you get metal sights for it from h&r, or can you get them thru your local gun store.

·
Super Moderator
51,252 Posts
See Peep and Firesights in the FAQs. ;)

The standard Williams rear sight that comes on current 44mag/45-70 barrels should work also just using one of the mounting holes.

Tim

·
Registered
105 Posts
;D congarats i am glad somebody got to hunt with theirs h&r still has mine and i have gotten no word from them as of yet, called talked to gordon and he acted like he had never heard from me before AFTER i had a 45 min conversation and three other calls i am starting to really wonder if i will ever get anywhere with this

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
In the event you have more deer jerky than you can possibly eat, please PM me for my address. I'll even pay shipping. Good hunting and congratulations!

bjm

·
Registered
272 Posts
phatgemi, congrats on the deer, i am gald to see someone else is hunting with the 500, i have had great luck with mine the two past seasons, this season i have killed a good eight point buck and two fat does with the 500, its a great little rifle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts