Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,747 Posts
OK here goes. I have had 4 so far. I first got a BFR in 500 MAG and sent it to Mag-na-port and had some work done. Then I purchased a S&W500 MAG 8 3/8 inch,when they hit the market. I had both guns and enjoyed shooting them both. I then decided to keep the BFR in 500 MAG and shot it for about 2 years, but traded the S&W500 for another custom gun. Well this year I bought a 4 inch S&W 500 for my next trip back to Alaska. I have shot about 500 rounds through it and it is very accurate even with such a short barrel. So I was back to 2 500 MAG's. Then my friend wanted my BFR in 500 mag and we made a trade. So I was down to just my 4 inch 500 Mag. Well I was at the gun shop in May and I see a 500 Mag with a 8 3/8 inch barrel on the rack and decided I needed it. :-D. So back up to two 500 Mags. Both of the guns are very accurate. I am going on a bear hunt to Maine in October and I will be carrying both of my 500 Mags. My 8 3/8 will be my primary gun and my 4 inch as my back up. But if I get a shot under 25 yards, I will use the 4 inch. Once you get a 500 Mag, you will be hooked. :D

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I have one with 83/8" barrel. I Shot a 1.5" three shot group with 350 gr bullets and with 400 gr bullets at 100 yds. With the 275gr bullets I like to shoot this steel plate probably 12"x18" at 200 yds. I will use it for Deer hunting this hunting season. I also have a 2x scope on it. Its a great gun.
You'll have a lot of fun with it. :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
This list should grow in a hurry :)
I also picked up a beauty . It's a PC Hunter 10.5 . What a tack driver at 100 yards . I have my eye on the 4" at the local gun shop . I have foundled it a few times with much joy :lol:
If you buy one you will be hooked . Big magnums Big Bullets Big fun .
Now go buy one and don't look back !!!!!!!!

RR

·
Registered
123 Posts
.500 S&W

I love my 8",But The 4" and 6" PC are really nice too.For when it absolutely has to stop RIGHT NOW!

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have the 8 3/8 smith and love it off hand at 100 yards I can usually shoot three inch groups with open sights. The trigger pull from the factory well lets just say you couldn't ask for a better trigger pull. In all honesty it really doen't kick as bad as most people say it does.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ok
I will show mine if you show me yours .
If you notice not one jacketed round .I have no use for them although I do have about 300 rounds that was given to me so I guess one day I will load them up.Actually my son-n-law will use them in his 500 .

RR

·
Registered
381 Posts
Mine has a 16.25" barrell ;D

IMG]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a261/jerkface11/500mag.jpg[/IMG]

Of course the rifle weighs about the same as the handguns so recoil is brisk.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Hey Ranger Rick, most of that ammo is a bit fuzzy (maybe its my old eyes!) but I can tell you've loaded up a lot of SMACK'M there. Pitty the poor griz that gets in the way of that 700 gr. slug. :eek:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Mine has a 16.25" barrell ;D

Of course the rifle weighs about the same as the handguns so recoil is brisk.

Ok had to repost that since i can't figure out how to edit the ealier post.

·
Registered
108 Posts
We've had a 4"er for over a year now. We travel up to Talkeetna, AK every
other summer for a few weeks. We like to hike & walk and have walked up
on a few griz a couple of times, down near the river. Until the Smith 500, I
used to pack a custom Redhawk. I feel 'much better'/safer with the 500.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have a PC Hunter .500 mag with a 6 1/2" barrel. It weighs about 70 oz. without the scope. I really like the gun, but I haven't shot it in a while due to open heart surgery. I don't want to damage my ribs while they are still healing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts