Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May have found one, or a barrel at least. I have been lusting after a swede 6.5x55 for a long time, but this cartridge has more room in the case and just may scratch that itch. Anyone have one? I reload. Dies? Brass prep from 06, 270 cases?

Reactions: cwlongshot

·
Premium Member
16,491 Posts
I do I do I do!!

LOL

Mine is made on a Argentine Mauser 98 action with a Shillen barrel. Mine is technically a 6.5x63 as I had the reamers cut from a longer 270 case not the shorter '06 case.

Love the caliber, VERY accurate! I had my barrel left long so squeeze out every last fps. It shoots fast! I am getting JUST SHY, of 264 mag velocities!

I had Redding cut my dies with my specs.

I shoot 125 Noslers and 140 Sierras. My accuracy is sub moa.

CW

·
Registered
704 Posts
What's old is new again...
6.5mm-06 is basically the old and long-since discontinued .256 Newton. The .256 Newton was pretty awesome back in it's day and the substantively similar 6.5mm-06 is a bit more so in there here and now, where we have powders in burn rates not available in Charles Newton's day. Personally, I think it's a better idea than either the .25-'06 or the .270 Winchester that braket it, because of the generally higher ballistic coeffecients that .264" bullets are known for, and the added versatility afforded by being able to shoot 160 grain bullets with their substantial sectional density.
If I were going to do a 6.5mm cartridge today, I'm pretty sure I'd go with the 6.5mm Creedmoor. It'll do most of what the 6.5-'06 will do, but with recoil and a powder appetite more like a .250 Savage, and with design elements that enhance accuracy potential and case life.
That said, it's hard to go wrong with the .264" cartridges, whether one picks the 6.5mm Swedish, the .260 Remington, 6.5 Creedmoor, or the 6.5mm-'06.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've got a Remington Model 7 chambered in .260 Remington (.308 Win. necked down to .264) and that cartridge is possibly one of the finest medium-game rounds I've ever worked with. I'm guessing the '06 version could offer 200-300 fps over the .260, similar to what the 30-06 can offer over the .308 Win. I was shooting mine at 650 yards this past weekend and was convinced either I was lied to about the yardage or the cartridge was clearly bucking the laws of physics. Drift with a full-value 15mph crosswind was absurdly small.

If given the opportunity to pick up a 6.5-06 (barrel or complete rifle) at anything resembling a decent price, I'd be all over it!

·
23,150 Posts
I had a buddy who just died that shot better and knew more about rifles then I ever will. He had probably 20 custom rifles and a 100 factory guns. Asked his favorite and he told me it was between two customs one heavy barreled and one sporter weight both in 6.5x06. That's good enough testimonial for me

·
9,530 Posts
I have always wanted a 6.5-06! If H&R had ever made a .264 barrel I'd already have one. And when the 260 came out I was in disbelief they based it on the 308 not the '06 case! ::)

I once looked at the "Hawk" version for a little more umph, but then the Nosler came out. :-\ I decided that there can be to much of a good thing so I'm back to the 6.5-06.

I like the 6.5mm bullet diameter. It's a little more (insert whatever here) then the quarter bore (which I am also a fan of) and IMNSHO the equal of the .277 (which I am not so much a fan of ;D).

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
I'd imagine 6.5-06 has similar performance to 6.5-284.
I'm inclined to agree with AtlLaw about 6.5mm vs .277".
The excellent ballistic coefficients of 6.5mm cal and the greater range of bullets in that calibre makes it a more interesting cal to load for and 6.5mm is potentially more flexible, at least for the wildcatter.
But to be honest a modern rifle in 6.5x55, 260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmore aren't far behind.
Moreover, the strength of 6.5 cal has, if you look at history, been not just in its ballistic performance but also in the relatively low recoil required to achieve this performance.
Will you get much more out of 6.5-06 than you would 6.5 Creedmore or 260 Rem?

Reactions: cwlongshot

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd imagine 6.5-06 has similar performance to 6.5-284.
I'm inclined to agree with AtlLaw about 6.5mm vs .277".
The excellent ballistic coefficients of 6.5mm cal and the greater range of bullets in that calibre makes it a more interesting cal to load for and 6.5mm is potentially more flexible, at least for the wildcatter.
But to be honest a modern rifle in 6.5x55, 260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmore aren't far behind.
Moreover, the strength of 6.5 cal has, if you look at history, been not just in its ballistic performance but also in the relatively low recoil required to achieve this performance.
Will you get much more out of 6.5-06 than you would 6.5 Creedmore or 260 Rem?

·
Registered
344 Posts
6.5/06 built on a 1917 enfield action douglas premium barrel, don't remember the twist but it likes light bullets.
I use 25/06 brass and neck up as I have a tight throat, 30/06 necked down was too tight not worth trimming necks diameter smaller. shoots like a damn, great caliber. sub 1" groups easy. 85 grn hollow point bullet 3600 fps. prairie dogs vaporize.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
About the only wildcatt I ever wanted is the 6.5x06and I have it. Rem 700 with the factory stock and 25" Shilen Match grade barrel. Love it but it's just not quite as far ahead of my 6.5x55 as I thought it might be. The 6.5x55 in a Win Mod 70 Featherweight. If I was looking for a facroty 6.5 I'd go 260 Rem. I like the idea that there is such a huge source of case's for reloading! My 6.5x06 barrel is 1-9" and handles 140gr SMK's very well. Sierra say's it won't handle their 142gr MK though. Hornady said it would not handle their 140gr interlock but it does very well with it also. Doesn't out shoot the SMK but go under an inch! Handled Nosler 140gr partitions in fact them and the 140gr Hornady shoot to the same point of impact! Have killed three elk with the 140gr Hornady with it, one shot each. Had origionally planned on the 140gr Partition in it but came around first elk season and didn't have any loaded up so used the 140gr Hornady. Did on the next two also, I don't care to mess with something that works but I'm pretty sure the partition would work as well! I loaded a 140gr partition dummy round with the bullet seated to the base of the neck for the gunsmith to chamber it for.

·
Premium Member
16,491 Posts
May have found one, or a barrel at least. I have been lusting after a swede 6.5x55 for a long time, but this cartridge has more room in the case and just may scratch that itch. Anyone have one? I reload. Dies? Brass prep from 06, 270 cases?
Its been about 6 years... Did ya go this route? Im still lovin mine only detour has been the lil Grendel Dinny turned me on to. But they are different enough not to greatly effect the other.

God Bless,

CW

·
Premium Member
16,491 Posts
I read!!! What are your plans?
Will it be a long range chooter? Hunting it or just steel targets?

I fancied my 6.5/06 as my long range gun and it would accomplish that I am sure but hasnt "really" been used for that yet.
First critter shot was with a 125 BT impacting at about 300 ish yards.

I have wondered how a 85/90g Barnes TTSX launched at speed might preform for long range critters. I can move a 125 just past 3100. You should be closer to 3400 with same no?

CW

·
23,150 Posts
just a toy to use crop damage shooting in the really big fields. Truth be told you about have to set yourself up intentionaly for a shot out past 400 yards.

·
23,150 Posts
I read!!! What are your plans?
Will it be a long range chooter? Hunting it or just steel targets?

I fancied my 6.5/06 as my long range gun and it would accomplish that I am sure but hasnt "really" been used for that yet.
First critter shot was with a 125 BT impacting at about 300 ish yards.

I have wondered how a 85/90g Barnes TTSX launched at speed might preform for long range critters. I can move a 125 just past 3100. You should be closer to 3400 with same no?

CW
thats one problem i have. Bullets. I looked this morning and i have some 129 hornadys some 120 gold dots, sierras and corelocks. But nothing any heavier or really designed for the velocity that thing will spit them out at.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am still kicking the 6.5x06 around. I would still like to build one out. If I do it will be built on a Ruger 77 or Winchester Model 70. Before I start another project I have to finish my 357 maximum lever action and my 45 acp built out on a mauser. Both are nearly complete. I just need to get motivated again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts