Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how many shooters of this caliber are on this forum.
This cartridge was the runner up to the 7X57 mm Mauser as a major military cartridge.

It is a popular hunting cartridge in Europe. I have used this cartridge on wild boar, Roe deer, Red Hirsch and Chamois. I have also used it on Mule Deer and Antelope in NM.

It has the same appx case capaciy as the 6.5x55 or 6.5x284. The rifle I use is a Steyr Model M Professional capped by A Zeiss Divori 2.5x10 power 48mm objective. Anything I put through it shoots 1 MOA or better.

Any users please sound off.

I stand corrected on adoption as a military cartridge.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Actually, the 6.5x57 was never adopted by any country as a military cartridge. The Swedes and Norweigans used, as you said, the 6.5x55. The Belgians and Serbians the 6.5x53R, the Greeks the 6.5x54, the Italians the 6.5x52, the Japanese the 6.5x50SR and the Portuguese the 6.5x58. No country wanted a cartridge a potential enemy's rifle would chamber, although the Serbians could certainly shoot the Italian's Carcano ammo, until the Italians started using steel jackets.
I suppose every nation figured the 6.5x57, having originated in Germany would be a runaway best seller. The cartridge, as you said, uses virtually the same loads as the 6.5x55.
The 6.5x57 was primarily chambered in commercial, sporting Mausers. The popular wildcat 6.5-.257, which was used in the Arisaka war surplus rifles, differs from the Mauser cartridge only in the shoulder angle and location. Load can be interchanged between them.
The Portuguese, darn 'em, rebuilt their 6.5s into 7.62 Nato standards instead of adopting a different rifle, so I never had one of the 6.5x58s, although some were used in the Portuguese African colonies. Pretty much the same performance. Also the .256 Newton, using a shortened .30-06 case is similar in performance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The 6,5x57R is quite popular in Europe as well. With the rim, it is well suited for combination guns, like over/under rifle shotguns and Drillings. Quite effective little round..................
I like the 6,5x55 in a bolt gun. It is accurate and comfortable to shoot...... I'm not sure why is has not caught on more in the states.
regards
Mark

·
Registered
319 Posts
Gosh, I haven't seen a 6.5x57 since I left Germany 30 years ago. They were still fairly popular there, an excellent deer rifle. Actually they're quite accurate and very similar to the 6.5x55 ballistically. I think quite a few were made up in double rifle configuration. If you encountered one today it would probably cost you a small fortune. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

1 - 4 of 4 Posts