Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone shooting this cartridge from a Contender?...

I'm shooting it from a 23" Carbine and the accuracy is just pretty dang good!...

Thoughts on bullets, powder, etc...

Thanks...BCB

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been shooting both a 14 in. pistol and 23 in. carbine in 6.8 for deer here in Ms for 4 years. Also got one for my grandson when he was 7 (he is now 10). We both shoot Silver State Armory (now owned by Nosler) 110gr Nosler Accubond ammo. Between us we have killed at least 10 deer with the 6.8, most at ranges of 100-150 yards (50-75 with the pistol). My longest shot was 275, and most fell on the spot or within sight. We both like the low recoil, which helps us make better shots, coupled with the great terminal performance. I am sold on the 6.8, and that is what I normally take to the woods.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sfairchild said:
I am shooting the 23" carbine also. Very good accuracy with Hornady 110 gr v-max.
What stock do you have on yours?...

I get very good accuracy with the Sierra 90 HP and H-322 powder or 10x powder. The H-322 produces about 60 fps greater velocity. Both loads will smack a groundhog-sized silhouette constantly at 300 yards. Beer cans are dead at 200 yards the vast majority of the time. This, along with a 223 that has a 16” barrel are the most accurate Contenders I own…

With the 110 Vmax I am using H-322 also. This bullet shoots almost as good as the 90 HP, but impacts are a bit lower past 150 yards—known holdovers become more crucial…

With the 120 SST, I am using IMR-8208XMB. This is the least accurate load, but does shoot 1.25” at 100 yards and beer cans at 150 yards. This bullet I use for hunting deer…

The only thing I wish was that the barrel would have a 1:9.5 twist rather than the 1:10 twist. That might make the heaver bullets a bit more accurate…

An interesting little cartridge for sure—A Baby 270 Winchester!!!...

Good-luck…BCB

Attachments

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
granjack said:
Are you using the v-max for deer or hogs?
See above post...

I've shoot 2 deer with the 120SST, not the Vmax...

The SST's perform O.K. as could be expected with good solid hits in good vital places. I would not stretch past 150 yards though--Just my thoughts on that though...

Good-luck...BCB

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am using the 110 VMax Hornady factory loads. With this accuracy I won't reload. It has 1/10 twist rate. I am using the synthetic stock. I have shot deer and hogs with it an get pass thru on deer. I thought the Vmax wouldn't penetrate well but it has.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.