Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of selling firearms and consolidating to a few quality pieces.
I am planning to do an AR 15 build for accuracy. Money is not unlimited but I want accuracy and realiz that it comes at a price. One goal is to involve my sons and get them interested in shooting. With the AR adjustable stock I can accommodate the small shooters.

Here is what I'm thinking of at the present. I'd like to know what you guys have seen and used in 600 yd setups.

Spike's Tactical matched upper and lower.
Geissele super dynamic enhanced trigger
Krieger match stainless 20" barrel with Wylde chamber
Magpul PRS stock
??Palmetto state bolt group

Beyond that I'm not sure where to go.

lc

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
LC: Purpose of the rifle? Are you building a "match" rifle for High Power competition?
If so, you are gonna need front and rear sights...
Check Centra rear for AR15 flattop and an adjustable iris. For the front, check RightSight with the tall ladder and maybe an adjustable iris for that too.
It is a lot simpler sight wise to build a Service rifle but your basic choices are for Match class.
Pete

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DG,

Good morning. I am not planning to use the rifle in competition but can see that as an option considering how things progress.
My primary goals is a center fire rifle that my kids can shoot (21, 19, 11, 9, 7) thus an AR platform as my choice.
My secondary goal is a rifle that will take me to significant limits and challenge my shooting skills.
My tertiary goal is a few "Quality" firearms that I shoot rather than rifles and shotguns that collect safe dust.

Since posting last night a friend has pointed me to the Larue Stealth Sniper System complete upper packages.
So yet another option that seems to come in at a lower price than the build components that I am considering yet delivering similar or near similar (anticipated) performance.

lc

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
williamlayton said:
We seem to be going to the same end in different calibers. i will be checking on the post to see what is said.
Blessings
[/quote

What caliber are you considering William?

·
Registered
18,405 Posts
Heck fire boys---about every two years this thing starts up, for me, and in 10 or so years I have never pulled the trigger.
I think, for me, is that it is much like LC's quest, I can't seem to settle my mind on it.
My quest is not so much for 600 yards---more like 200 and with .223---When I think I have a handle on what I need, I am not convinced/sure enough to actually do it.
Gutless--may be a good word.
Blessings

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That makes sense WL. Ive been in the same boat due to funding and the seeming millions of options for components. IMO, which is still a bit clouded, for your application I would consider a ROCK RIVER with mid weight barrel. I'm partial to 18". A nice trigger and 1:8 twist to handle 55gr up to mid heavy weights. they note MOA on manynofmtheir rifles on their website.

lc

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
"A nice trigger and 1:8 twist to handle 55gr up to mid heavy weights."
Yes...or 1-7" for the 80 grainers and the 75-77 gr workhorses as well.

My own choice was to settle on the Sierra 77 Match BTHP. The barrel is 1-8 and the bullets show no sign of destabilizing beyond 200 yards.

"My secondary goal is a rifle that will take me to significant limits and challenge my shooting skills."
Yes. Do that. Get up on your legs and shoot. None of this shoot from the bench stuff.
For longer distances (beyond 200 YDS).....shoot prone."

Also...I am not familiar with the Spikes equipment, other than what I can see on their website.
but....
You should make sure that you float the barrel.

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
White Oak Armory is a very popular upper for CMP EIC shooters; I've also shot/shoot RR NM builds for competition, and I like their triggers fine. If you can find a WOA upper, and I see them for sale used often for $500-600, I highly recommend it.

And while I understand the purpose of an adjustable stock for growing boys, fixed stocks (and my current AR has a fixed carbine length stock), offer a more consistent sight alignment/picture/cheek weld. JMO but I'd get them on a fixed stock as soon as their LOP allowed it ... if 600yds is the game.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Darkgael said:
Yes. Do that. Get up on your legs and shoot. None of this shoot from the bench stuff.
For longer distances (beyond 200 YDS).....shoot prone.
This. ^^^

If you can find a Project Appleseed event in your area, go. Get a sling, take it, your rifle, a shooting mat and 500 rounds of ammo and learn to be a Rifleman over the course of a weekend. It will be the best $60 you have ever spent on rifle instruction.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Darkgael said:
"A nice trigger and 1:8 twist to handle 55gr up to mid heavy weights."
Yes...or 1-7" for the 80 grainers and the 75-77 gr workhorses as well.

My own choice was to settle on the Sierra 77 Match BTHP. The barrel is 1-8 and the bullets show no sign of destabilizing beyond 200 yards.

"My secondary goal is a rifle that will take me to significant limits and challenge my shooting skills."
For longer distances (beyond 200 YDS).....shoot prone."

Also...I am not familiar with the Spikes equipment, other than what I can see on their website.
but....
You should make sure that you float the barrel.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I saw that you Reload also so that ads a bit of weight to the argument knowing that you have worked to maximize the consistency of the round for the rifle.

I hear you guys on the shooting upright and prone. It is one of my goals to involve my sons and possibly daughters if they show interest. We have been working some with 22 rifles at distance and I can ding a 12 inch square steel with consistency with an old Romanian 22 trainer on the 100 meter setting. Such shooting was neither understood nor taught by the older generations in my family so we are learning and it is exciting to see that a guy can learn to shoot with confidence.

A friend has used spikes matched uppers and lowers with good success. The lower will be determined by the upper most likely. I am in the process of calculating the costs between a full self build and the LaRue package. Larue is only 8-10 days out on an order so that wait time isn't a prohibiting factor. I will definitely free float either way. I have learned to do that with bolt guns so that logic seems to make the transition to the black rifles.

Gents! I am grateful for the feed back. Please, feel free to give advice and suggestions. I like to learn from the personal experience of others. There is great value in shared wisdom.

lc

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JustaShooter said:
Darkgael said:
For longer distances (beyond 200 YDS).....shoot prone.
This. ^^^

If you can find a Project Appleseed event in your area, go. Get a sling, take it, your rifle, a shooting mat and 500 rounds of ammo and learn to be a Rifleman over the course of a weekend. It will be the best $60 you have ever spent on rifle instruction.
Thank you Sir! This will be a big help.

lc

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
[quote] 75 year old body with no pins and getting up and down is very problematical.[/quote]

Yep. Getting down is easier than getting up. Once I am in position, I try to stay there a while.
Getting up takes a while.
Pete

1 - 20 of 29 Posts