Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my local gun shop today and really liked how the 629 felt. I'm looking for a gun that I can use to go deer hunting here or use as a protection gun while bow hunting out west. I have used several search engines and read what I could about the 4" and 5" classic. I don't see much of a velocity difference between the 4",5", or 6" barrels. I like the short 4" for carrying, but I like how the 5" classic has the full length underlug. Is there any difference between the gaps and fit between these two revolvers? How would your recommend carrying these guns? Would you holster both guns strong side or would you want a cross draw the 5"? I would like any opinions. I like the looks of the 5" but don't know "in the real world" if that extra inch would make me regret it.

He priced me $750 for either size. How is that?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Personal prefrence I like them all but the 5" is my favorite for all purpose. If only a back up or protection go with 4". 6" if I was scoping it. I have a 6.5" and some day I would like a 3" but no money right now :(

·
Administrator
26,228 Posts
Barrel length is a very much personalized choice. I tend to like mine on the long side for extra sight radius as the longer the barrel the more accurately I shoot it with factory irons.

My personal opinion only is that the 5" is for those folks who can't quite make up their mind if they want a 4" for easier carry or a 6" for longer sight radius so they choose the in between 5". To me there isn't a dime's worth of difference in the three tho I do tend to shoot slightly smaller groups with a 6". I seldom buy less than a 6" barrel length for a gun I'll be shooting rather than just carrying and much prefer 7.5" or 8-3/8" whichever is offered by the manufacturer. I once had a S&W 29 with 10-5/8" and shot it better than any revolver I've ever owned. I sure wish I'd been smart enough to hold onto that one.

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
Just my 2 cents...it depends in my opinion on what the primary use of the gun is. If it's going to be a primary hunter and not a back up...I like the longer barrel lengths. If it's a back-up, a 4 or 5 inch is a bit easier to carry or less cumbersome I suppose for ME. For example, I have 2 SW 29s, a 6" for hunting because I like the longer site radius and a 4" as a backup for when I'm woods walking, hog hunting with a single shot or black bear hunting as it's easier to carry than toting a rifle in and out the truck or if we're searching for a wounded bear or whatever..just some examples off the top of my head.

So....my suggestion to you...there really isn't a spits worth of practical difference between the two...pick each up, close your eyes, bring each up to eye level, open your eyes and see how each feels. I carry them on my belt strong side...I use an uncle mikes, cheapo holster for the 6" and it works just fine. It's not a high ride, I'm too short for one of those and I'm not all all concerned with concealability. I use a bianchi, camo accumold for the 4" and it's fine, though I think I'll look for a holster the pulls the butt in more (like an askins avenger) to make it easier to climb into tree stands, have under my coat or jacket, climb into and out of trucks, etc.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Graybeard said:
Barrel length is a very much personalized choice. I tend to like mine on the long side for extra sight radius as the longer the barrel the more accurately I shoot it with factory irons.

My personal opinion only is that the 5" is for those folks who can't quite make up their mind if they want a 4" for easier carry or a 6" for longer sight radius so they choose the in between 5". To me there isn't a dime's worth of difference in the three tho I do tend to shoot slightly smaller groups with a 6". I seldom buy less than a 6" barrel length for a gun I'll be shooting rather than just carrying and much prefer 7.5" or 8-3/8" whichever is offered by the manufacturer. I once had a S&W 29 with 10-5/8" and shot it better than any revolver I've ever owned. I sure wish I'd been smart enough to hold onto that one.
I am glad to hear that GB. I have a long barrel Vaquero and have been hiding it in case Lloyd hears about it and wants to shorten it. I shoot better with longer barreled revolvers as well. My Model 66 is a six inch barrel and works well for me as well.

·
Administrator
26,228 Posts
Fer shore iffen ya ever let Lloyd get his hands on it he'll take a hacksaw to that barrel. I think the real truth about Lloyd is his bad back has him so weak he can't tote around a revolver with a real barrel so he has to use those snub nose guns. ;D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello all!

For a walk around gun in the woods I like my 629 Mountain.

Check the reg's for what state out here you plan on bow hunting in. In Wyoming you can not have a firearm on you while you are bow hunting big game.

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
I have A 29 Classic in 5 inch. I have had it for years. I have used it for competition, deer hunting and home defense. It actually fits in my hunting jacket pocket, but I carry it cross draw. For ME, It is the perfect size. I recommend it.

Cheese

·
Registered
358 Posts
My buddy bought a 5" without a full underlug, I bought the 6.5" with full underlug. They both shoot about the same and carry about the same. When fully loaded, they both drag your pants down.

I like the balance of the longer barallel and agree for a pure hunting rig a 8 or longer may be a little better.

·
Registered
724 Posts
If you intend to carry heavy loads, the five inch with underlug will be more contolable. I had a nickle model 29 four inch that got real snappy with heavy loads. My 625 mountain gun in 45 Colt lets you know too. My Bisley 5.5 handles 300 grn slugs with comfort, JMHO. 8) rawhidekid

·
Premium Member
7,981 Posts
i beleive 5 inch is the shortest ''classic''

i like the 5 inch the best
it is just all a hand gun ought to be [some times hard to conceal]

i also have a 3 inch 629
in the past have had 7.5 and 6.5 blue

with all those ''if i could only have one gun... threads.''
always my 5 inch smith 629

it is the longest barrel and most power you can carry in your back pocket
you can run with it in your front pocket
it fits a 4 inch pancake holster i use sometimes [3 incher fits it too]
also have a leather cowboy holster

but mostly i use a home made belley dand holster
made out a back supporter wide and lots of velcro

this holster holds it tight to my body
it is a little warm in summer in florida
but when i leave the woods for a reataraunt no one notices

that mountain gun would be nice to carry
so is the 329 titaniums
some states require a longer barrel than 5 to hunt with

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have 4 model 629's, a 6.5 inch Classic, a 5 inch Classic, and two mountain guns.

When I die I expect to have a 629 Mountain Gun in my hand, I like them that much <G>

I have one of the originals that was called a "Mountain Revolver", I like it so much that I bought another one, the second one is newer and has the laser etching and the endurance package. It also has a Crimson Trace lasergrip and I have used it to take a wild hog.

The 6.5 inch Classic is my hunting handgun, and I've killed a couple of hogs with it. The extra weight over the Mtn Gun cuts the recoil way down, and the longer sighting radius makes it easier to shoot well.

The 5 inch Classic is a compromise between the two, I don't use it a whole lot but I do love to shoot it. One thing about the 5 inch Classic, it's hard to find leather for it. You can always use a holster for a six inch gun, but why not carry a six incher then? Bianchi does make the 5BBHL for the 5" Classic, and in the past has made the 111 Cyclone for it. I have one of the 111 Cyclone (crossdraw or strong side) holsters for each of my 629's.

·
2,655 Posts
Personal preference. One consideration is not many 5 inch holsters. Most all are 4 or 6 inch, so if you buy a 5 inch gun, and end up carrying in a 6 inch holster, well, might as well go with the 6 inch barrel...

Larry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts