Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Remington model four in 6mm Remington. Don’t know anything about this cartridge either. Rifle is like new, safe queen. Sighted in with Hornady 100gr soft points but would like to find some nosler partitions to feed it.
Tell me about this cartridge? What’s the good and bad? Thank y’all.
peak98

·
Administrator
26,045 Posts
Think .243 Winchester plus 100 fps. It is the same case as the .257 Roberts and 7x57.

·
Registered
556 Posts
The good is you get more velocity, better barrel life due to the sharper shoulder of the cartridge. The bad is factory ammo is hard to find along with brass.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Had one in a Rem model 700 years ago. Shot several deer with it using Rem 100gr CoreLokts and it did the job very well.

It was also dubbed the .244 Remington when first introduced and Remington made the mistake of using too slow of a rifling twist to stabilize the 100 grain bullets like the .243 Win could. They implemented a faster twist and renamed it the 6mm Rem, but by then the .243 had a big head start and the 6mm's fate was sealed.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
As was said, had Remington given it the right rifling to start with it would be as popular as the 243. Not much factory ammo but a reloader would love it. PM me if you ever decide to sell it, I've been looking for a pump or semi auto Remington 6mm.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks gentlemen, I was looking for a Remington or Browning semiauto in 308 or 243 when I ran across this one. Picked it up cheap and will try it out this season.

·
Registered
556 Posts
At the present time I own two 6mm's and have been reloading for the 6mm since 1976. I also have two 243's and I much prefer the 6mm, all are bolt action rifles.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I shoot the 100 grain CoreLokts in my Remington 760 6mm. This will be season 35 for this rifle, I guess I like the 6mm.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any of y’all got a line on a box of the Federal’s loaded with Noslers?
peak98

·
22,260 Posts
my old 6mm rem classic was my first bolt action gun and will never leave my hands to they plant me. Its killed a dump truck full of deer. Did it with sierras, speers, honadys and even factory corelocks. Its a deer rifle plain and simple and no partitions or barnes x bullets are necessary . Matter of fact they probably wont kill as well as a cup and core bullet. For the price of 50 partitions or x bullets you can probably buy a couple hundred cup and core bullets. what it is is a darned good deer/antelope rifle out to 300 yards. If you want to shoot father or shoot bigger game buy a bigger gun. Don't worry about the stories of barrels with the wrong twist. Very few were actually made. Ive ran across exactly one in my whole life.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
my old 6mm rem classic was my first bolt action gun and will never leave my hands to they plant me. Its killed a dump truck full of deer. Did it with sierras, speers, honadys and even factory corelocks. Its a deer rifle plain and simple and no partitions or barnes x bullets are necessary . Matter of fact they probably wont kill as well as a cup and core bullet. For the price of 50 partitions or x bullets you can probably buy a couple hundred cup and core bullets. what it is is a darned good deer/antelope rifle out to 300 yards. If you want to shoot father or shoot bigger game buy a bigger gun. Don't worry about the stories of barrels with the wrong twist. Very few were actually made. Ive ran across exactly one in my whole life.
Thanks for the feedback, I am shooting factory Hornady ammo now (100gr sp) and have no doubt they’ll do the job. I shot 150gr SGK’s in an old ‘06 and killed deer from 12yds to 470yds. Not one deer ever complained...
I want to shoot a couple with the .243 Partition just to satisfy my own curiosity.

peak98

1 - 13 of 13 Posts