Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about a hunting rifle in 7-08 and wonder what rifles people might recommend. I'd like maybe a 22 inch barrel so as to get the most out of that cartridge. My son has a Rem Model 7 that is a tack driver but the gun is so light, and the barrel is so short, that it just doesn't fit me. I have a .300 Win Mag in a Sako Hunter that is awesome and I've been thinking that a 7-08 in a Sako would be a good choice. But I also wonder about Ruger, Weatherby, and others. Gotta say that I don't like the Remington action too much regardless of the fact that it seems to work well (bolt always seems wobbly to me, whereas the Weatherby, for instance, is great). I have not purchased a rifle in so many years that I am not familiar with what is out there now a days so a little feedback would be appreciated. Buy the way, I will handload for the 7-08 [Dillon 550B press].

·
Administrator
26,088 Posts
Take a look at the Remington Model 700 LSS Mtn. Rifle. I have one in 7-08 in addition to .260 Rem. and .30-06. I've talked several folks on here into buying them in 7-08 mostly but the other chamberings also. Don't think anyone yet has been disappointed.

I use the Hornady Light Mags in mine for hunting and it shoots them well under MOA and they really work on game.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts

Savage 11FL

·
Registered
641 Posts
Nice group there, Greg. May have to buy a Savage one of these years :-D

·
Registered
688 Posts
Well I have to agree w/ Greybeard.

The 7mm-08 is probably the best all around cartridge I've ever used.
From pariare dogs to deer you can't beat a 7mm-08.
Man, I seen a Ruger in a 22inch barrel at the local gun shop, a No. 1 in stainless and wood stocks. It was a work of art. I came sooo close to buying that rifle, but I ended buying an AR-15 Varmiter. But that Ruger No. 1 still sticks in my mind.
I think You WILL be happy with whatever rifle you choose as long as it is in a 7mm-08.
Good Luck!

Dennis :D

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The Rugers and Winchester Classic Featherweights are handsome rifles, and certainly shoot well. It is hard to find a more accurate rifle than the Savage unless you pay an awful lot of money. What kind of budget would you prefer?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I've got a Rem 7600 7mm-08. It came from Grice in PA and has laminated stocks. It is a honey.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm one of the ones that Greaybeard influenced.......and glad he did!!!

Rem 700 Mtn LSS 7MM-08 - - - - Looks Good!

And shoots good too! :lol:

Regardless of the gun you end up with, you'll love the 7MM-08!!!

firstshot
------------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

·
Registered
129 Posts
7mm-08

all I can say is go with a tikka. Have 3, one of which is that caliber, love the thing. Make sure you look a tikka over before you decide.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If I had the budget you have for this rifle, I would without a doubt get the Sako. If I had less money I would get the Tikka. I use an out of the box Tikka 7-08 for high power silhouette and it gives great accuracy out to the 500 meter rams.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Ditto to what Handwerk and smk said. I have two t-3's (7-08, 7mag) and a Tikka whitetail (7mag) and they all shoot 1/2" all day with factory ammo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the replies. I read somewhere that the Sakos and the Tikkas use the very same barrel and that speaks well of the Tikka.
An old friend of mine contacted me with the following: "I took that barrel off that Sako [7-08] and made it into a .257 Ack. Imp. just for something different, but I think the 7-08 is a great cartridge. Sakos are very good, I think that the older ones (like your 300) are better than the newer ones. If you can find a good Remington action, I have a Shilen stainless steel barrel that has about 2500 rounds through it that I will give you. Rifling is still very sharp, I used it Silhouette shooting and shot very light loads through it. You should get another 2000 easy. It shot the 139 Hornady and the 162 very well. I tied the Wyoming State record and was only off 4 targets from the national record with it. I have been shooting High Power rifle lately, quite a challenge shooting a .223 at 600 yards with open sights. Sunday we have a 1000 yard match and I am going to shoot my M1A in .308, this will be my first 1000 yard match so it should be interesting."
I am wondering if I can buy just the Sako or Tikka action and slap that barrel on it. Stock it and I'd be in business. I'll look into it.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
nrifenbark said:
Up to about $1500. Plus scope.
Forget the rest and purchase a Sako 75 Deluxe Hunter in 7mm-08. Top it off with a Burris or Leupold scope and never worry again. Of course if you want to have some money left over to purchase reloading supplies then get an accurate rifle - Savage[/color] in the model of your choice. Lawdog
:D

·
Registered
164 Posts
Why not try out a Howa 1500 in 7-08cal..The guns got some great reviews. 8)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I agree with Handwerk. I have a Tikka Continental Varmenter in .308. It will consistently keep five shots under 2" at 300 yds. off a bag. On a few days when everything was right(moon, stars, weather, ME) it has done even better. Got the same thing in 22-250 and got the same results. I have seen guys with high priced CUSTOM rifles that did not do much better. Most rifles will do pretty well at 100yds. The test is when you start shooting longer distances.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a Ruger 77 MKII stainless/syn. in 7mm08 with a Bushnell 3200 Elite 3x9, 3lbs trigger and could not ask for more :wink: its a shooter.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts