Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have been looking alot on the net for a good caliber to start my little boy on. Several people including Chuck Hawks have recommended the 7-30 waters. What are your thoughts?

If I go with the waters it will mean a T/C contender or encore rifle. I am going to not get a super light rifle and also plan on adding a good recoil pad. I have about 1.5 years to perfect the combo before my boy will be ready to shoot it.

Is the T/C my only option for the waters in a rilfe?

By the way the use of this rifle is for my 3 little ones to take our smallish Mississippi whitetails with. I'll bet if you handload this caliber with some good pointed bullets you could get some great performance!

Thanks,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
nixsrs93 said:
All,

I have been looking alot on the net for a good caliber to start my little boy on. Several people including Chuck Hawks have recommended the 7-30 waters. What are your thoughts?

If I go with the waters it will mean a T/C contender or encore rifle. I am going to not get a super light rifle and also plan on adding a good recoil pad. I have about 1.5 years to perfect the combo before my boy will be ready to shoot it.

Is the T/C my only option for the waters in a rilfe?

By the way the use of this rifle is for my 3 little ones to take our smallish Mississippi whitetails with. I'll bet if you handload this caliber with some good pointed bullets you could get some great performance!

Thanks,
You could get a H&R/NEF® in 7mm08; use as is, or, have it rechambered to 7-30 Waters. My son has a 7-30 Waters in a Winchester® 94AE; extremely low recoil; accurate as all get out![/color]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think you can re-chamber a 7mm-08 to a 7-30 waters. I think you have to start with a smaller cartridge and re-chamber to a bigger cartridge. Example 3-08 rechambered to a 300 win short mag. Do I have this wrong guys?

Great to hear about the low recoil with the waters. I have shot it in a T/C pistol and it was not that bad, so in a rifle it should be a pussycat.

Thanks for your help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
On a NEF, they'd probably be able to cut the chamber and set the barrel back, and then rechamber the rifle to the new cartridge!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,439 Posts
:D nixsrs93, you asked for thoughts, well here is mine. I would have to ask "Why bother?" If you want a 7mm, and can handload, get a 7mm-08 bolt gun, and load it light. Move up to full loads when the kids are ready. The 7-30 Waters was developed for one and only one reason, to get a flatter trajectory and more range than the .30-30 in the Winchester model 94. Being a rimmed round it naturally found it's way into the Contender, but from a practical standpoint, it no longer serves any usefull purpose. It seems to me to be a bad choice for a first gun, with so many other light kickers out there. A .243 would be much better, for example.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,570 Posts
Ramrod said:
Being a rimmed round it naturally found it's way into the Contender, but from a practical standpoint, it no longer serves any usefull purpose. It seems to me to be a bad choice for a first gun, with so many other light kickers out there. A .243 would be much better, for example.
No offence, Ramrod, but I reckon if a cartridge can take game cleanly and effectively from most standpoints, especially a practical one, it definitely serves a useful purpose.
IMO it doesn't do young hunters any harm to use a cartridge that's a little more unusual and may involve more stalking.
I began using 303/25, learnt to handload and enjoyed every step.
It made shooting cheaper and also meant I knew exactly what my rifle could do.
303/25 is a rimmed cartridge too that was also effectively shelved by the .243 when it first came out in Australia.
The game doesn't know the difference though and if nixsrs93 buys his son a T/C rifle then they can quite easily buy another barrel for it in any chambering they like.
I guess I'm tired of being told that a cartridge need to be fast, flashy and the same as almost everybody else is using.
Go ahead and try the 7-30.
You'll probably find yourself nicking it now and again. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
The perfect rifle for your son would be a .260 rem. load the light bullets for deer 100gr. for .243 type recoil, even with full loads the 100gr does not have heavy recoil and a bolt action could be used. This caliber could be used for varmints, deer and larger game just about any game in the lower 48. Dont' let anyone tell you that its going to be obsolete as it is becoming the most popular silhouette cartridge, it will be around for a long time. It will do just about anything the 7/08 will do with less recoil and more than the 7/30 waters.
Drags
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,439 Posts
kombi1976 said:
No offence, Ramrod, but I reckon if a cartridge can take game cleanly and effectively from most standpoints, especially a practical one, it definitely serves a useful purpose.
kombi, I don't take offence over your posts, or get defensive about mine. This is not a therapy group. :) When a question is posted, the poster deserves to hear all sides. We don't have to agree about anything. It is good to hear opinions from someone half way around the globe.
That said, some of the more esoteric rounds are best left to the true gun nuts, and keep it simple for the new folks. :grin:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,570 Posts
Ramrod said:
That said, some of the more esoteric rounds are best left to the true gun nuts, and keep it simple for the new folks. :grin:
Ah, but how do you think you create true gun nuts??? :mrgreen:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,571 Posts
Chuck White said:
On a NEF, they'd probably be able to cut the chamber and set the barrel back, and then rechamber the rifle to the new cartridge!
Chuck
I own several NEF's and I'd have to say that is not possible. First off you'd have to cut out the entire chamber and re-chamber in the normal dia section of the barrel, not enough metal there for a safe chamber.

The 7-08, loaded down, would be a good round, in an NEF, but as was discussed in another thread, get something like a 270 and buy the "managed recoil" loads. I have loaded these for my son's 30-06 and recoil was like a 243. This was VERY tolerable, especially since their Rem 700's had onlt the plastic buttplate at the time.

When I added a good pad, they wanted normal loads cause they felt like it was a baby gun. (their words, not mine)

The managed loads do work, so you couldg get a 270 in whatever you want.

Or get a short action bolt gun and have a 7-30 barrel put on it, if you really want that caliber.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top