Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my barrel yesterday. I have been waiting to see wheter I could use big bast bullets in it and also to try milsurp. So far....I tried cast 200 gr spitzers. These are seated just slightly below the shoulder, but are very light lods, so they worked just fine. I have not had a chance to test them for accuracy....still need to fine tune the scope. But I have some 123 gr spitzers ready for zeroing in. I tumble lubed some 175 gr Lee Round-nose bullets, and will try and load some up later today and see how THEY chamber. I think that they will probably be more accurate than the cast spitzer.
I also tried Wolf ammo, and none of it would fire. Someone was saying earlier that some of the Wolf ammo misfires due to having 'very hard primers'....that might be true...but I think most of the problem with this ammo is that the primers are set so deeply, they are actually rebated....quite a bit lower than flush. So I did not have the opportunity to test them for whether the laquered cases would get glued into the chamber or not.
When we bought this rifle, the previous owner had trimmed the end off the hammer to allow for the scope. (duh) I mentioned to NEF that I would like it replaced if it was easy to do....they did it with no extra charge...very nice. I used the same scope that was on the original barrel, and got it to fit perfectly with the same exact rings that were on it. The only problem was that the front bell was hitting the base, so I just bevelled the front of the base slightly so it would not touch. I still cannot understand why someone would cut off a HAMMER to fit the scope, rather than get proper rings and scope.....as it turns out he just did not know what he was doing. But I am very happy with my progress so far.
The exterior of the barrel is a little rough....not exactly pretty, it has faint tooling marks that look like 'lathe marks. I am not sure how they make these...I guess I was assuming that they were rolled.
Hopefully I will have time soon to get back to my shop and out to the range for more testing...But I DO Beleive that this barrel is going to be everything that I had hoped for.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Glad to hear you finally got your 7.62 Robert.
I know you have been holding out for a while. I believe I will wait from buying one for now.
I have heard all the same things about the Wolf ammo too.
But with hand loads you should be able to get some good stuff out of it.
Have fun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
robert . . .

interesting observation about the depth of the wolf primers.
i noticed that too. in fact i actually sorted out the rounds that
had "more or less" a flush primer -- those had a much higher
ignition rate than those which were seated deeper.

i haven't had access to anything but wolf and olympic
but at $7.00 a box for the olympic, i passed. hmm . . .
anyone have any 7.62x39 surplus they could take a look
at to see if the primers are seated more flush?

thanks for the post!

!!!!! update 07.02.2005 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i bought some of the greek brass-cased, 124 grain fmj
(olympic brand). turns out it was $7.00 for a box of 40
(a buck more per 20 than wolf in single box purchases).

the primers are crimped and virtually flush with the
bottom of the cartridge. IIRC these are boxer primed,
but the brass looks pretty crude. don't know if it be worth
trying to reload?

i won't be able to get to the range to test these for another
week . . . so if anyone gets a chance to try some olympic,
please post your news!

the "cheap" ammo project may still have some life left in it!

thanks for the post!

-- C4

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Robert, got a load for you when you get around to it. UMC cases, Win SR primers, .311 Sierra 150 Pro Hunters, and 27.5 grains of H 322. That's about a max load so use due caution. If it gives you groups even double what it's giving me in my CZ, you'll be one happy camper.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is an extractor. I am very pleased. Now if I could just get time to shoot.............

·
Banned
802 Posts
The deep set primers seems to be tyical of the russkie ammo. I found that the silver bear, barnaul and wolf all to be that way. There is some south african stuff that was better but can't remember the maker. Had a spotted leopard pattern on the box.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I think that spotted box is cheetah 40rd box aprox $6 & is a brass case. Does fine in my semi auto don't have a 762x39 hindi

·
Registered
539 Posts
This might be common knowledge already, but I suspect that primers on most "inexpensive/cheap/surplus" .762 ammo is due to the high possibility of slam-fires on AK's. They are notorious for slam-fires and I suspect the deep-seated primers are an attempt to prevent this.

Makes the case for reloading you own a better option.

·
Banned
802 Posts
I think that spotted box is cheetah 40rd box aprox $6 & is a brass case.
Cheetah it is, and my apologies to both the Cheetah and the Leopard. :)

Makes the case for reloading you own a better option.
Yup, specially with a single shot rifle like the NEF. I have loaded some specialty ammo for my SKS, but it's not for rapping off like one does with the cheap russkie stuff.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't find the number right now, I am on a different computer. But the bore is .310 with a 1 in 9.75 twist.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Robert

Thank you... I did find a previous post several pages back about the barrel and its number. I posted it over at http://www.surplusrfle.com forum area.

I may end up ordering one of these barrels myself, just to go along with the Russian SKS that my son got for my birthday. I'd swear this was locked away in someones safe somewhere.

Surprize to many, but my favorite cartridge starts with 7.62 not .458

Don't get me wrong the .458 has its place and merrit, but is not a good tactical cartridge 8)

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Is NEF actually making these barrels in 7.62x39 as they aren't listed on the site?
If not, who is?

·
Super Moderator
51,039 Posts
They are part #R03490, $82 plus $15 fitting plus $10 shipping. And yes they are making them, several members here already have them, Robert included!! :wink:

Tim

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
quickdtoo said:
They are part #R03490, $82 plus $15 fitting plus $10 shipping. And yes they are making them, several members here already have them, Robert included!! :wink:

Tim
Tim

Has the dia been confirmed as .310 or is this a .308 dia for the 7.62x39?

It seems that if the dia was .310 it should handle mil surp well. But I have read that Wolf is not so good. It seems that they H&R would have done much better making this for the US market using factory loads anyway.

·
Super Moderator
51,039 Posts
Jon,

As Robert stated, they are .310 and this has been confirmed by H&R by email, whether they actually measure that, I don't know.

That's one caliber I don't have and don't plan on getting since apparently cheap milsurp ammo isn't going to shoot well in it according to this post...

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=65952&highlight=7+62x39

And I already have a .30-30!! :wink:

Tim

·
Super Moderator
51,039 Posts
Got one of them too, a Japan built BLR, made back when the BLR was nice handling and looked good, too!!!

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Kind of ironic that the desirability of the '39 in many circles is that it has plenty plinking mil-surp ammo available and yet the H&R won't really fire it successfully. :|
Between that and the wider range of bullets in .308 cal available to the reloader you may as well buy a .30-30.
Just my opinion though.
I hope the '39 works well for you.
Are you sticking to open sights or will you fit a low power or red dot scope to it?
What sort of game do you plan on hunting with it or is it a "play gun"? :wink:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts