Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent slugged my barrel but was almost sure it was a .310 diam as that is what I am shooting with decent results. Has anyone tried .308 bullets and what results did you get. Was thinking of the 150 grain but the nosler bt 125 have a good bc so they would be good also.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
try your 125gr bt.... i use 130gr .308 jhp speer #2005 for my best results in put'n in tha same hole @100yrds.......... ;D

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Mine doesn't shoot 308 dia. bullets for beans. Does great with Hornady 310 or home cast at 311 or 312 dia. I've been wanting to try some 150-180 gr cast, just to see how that works out. Kind of a commie whisper thing.

·
Registered
996 Posts
ive pulled the bullets out the Russian ammo and put 308 dia bullets in shot good .used lee crimp die on bullets.but when they came out with hollow points i didn't see a need for it anymore.

·
Premium Member
9,733 Posts
Mine is very accurate even with steel cased Russian ammo. I just measured the bullet diameter on a Ruskie and it's .310. I have 123 and 125 gr. .310 and .311s and I think I'll try them first. I can't imagine a smaller diameter bullet would improve anything. It is already excellent. I was just going to reload some this morning, but I don't have enough reloadable brass to make it worth while. When I do reload for it, I will try a few .308's out of curiosity.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have been shooting the .310 123 grain hor sp. I am also going to load up some 130 hor .308 sp and 125 nosler bt .308 and see how they fly. Going to try Rel7 and h4198. let you know.

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
Many jacketed bullets are actually undersize for the groove depth of our barrels, and, yes, those gases will burn out the throat and on up the barrel, some calibers are worse than others and only have their 'gilt edged accuracy' of a couple of thousand rounds.
Ifin ya wonder, slug your barrel and see just how your jacketed bullets compare.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Non handi related- My old wildcat 30-284 is still wearing the original 7.7 jap barrel and it shoots one inch groups with 5 different jacketed .308 bullet wts.... so it will depend on the barrel you have. But if theirs all shoot the bigger ones best I know what I would buy. thejanitor

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
thats right brent,
i'm very glad mine will not shoot anything else but .308 bullets.... and there ain't no blow-by or other damage happen'n to her... only damage it does is take pink slips from owners of other manufacturers rifles. and an occasional critter ifin it feels lucky to try
and slip by ;D my "39" isa first production year model.
as always..........it is tha most accurate handi out of 27 +/- we have.
i lost count when tha grandkids started becoming of tha "HANDI AGE" 8)

yall shoot what feels gud to ya.... and i'll do tha same ;)

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well for the **** of it I called H&R today to see what they said about the diam. I was put on hold while they told me they were going to find out. I was told that in deed it is a .308. I quess I will still slug the barrel to be sure.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
yep, in order of accuracy....... .308725, .309219, .309696
1st 2 were bought when they first came out, last one was bought 4-5 months ago ;)

all perfer tha .308 jacketed projectile. specially tha 1st one... its tha widder-maker ;D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.