Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DOES ANYONE OWN A 7mm STW BARREL, OR HAS ANYBODY EVER SEEN ONE? I AM CONSIDERING HAVING ONE BUILT OR RECHAMBERD. THE PRESSURES IT OPERATES AT, ARE NOT ANY HIGHER THAN SOME OF THE OTHER MAGNUM CALIBERS AND WILDCAT ROUNDS THAT ARE ALREADY AVAILIBLE FOR THE ENCORE. I AM INTERESTED IN YOUR THOUGHTS AND COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I am not 100% sure BUT would guess the head pressure is in the danger zone and that is why T/C will not offer it.
I would check with MGM and/or Bullberry to see if they chamber the 7mm STW.
Good Luck

Encore28

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Chamber pressure is only part of the equation. I've never heard of a barrel chambered in that round and really can't imagine it being safe. IF...it is...this ole man wants no part of it in his Encore! OUCH!!!

·
Registered
661 Posts
The base of the 7 STW is the same as the .338 Win Mag or .300 Win Mag. The point is that they are both high-pressure cartridges so if one can have a barrel in the two winchester cartridges on should be able to have a barrel in 7 STW.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
No comments on the "pressure / compatability of the round /rifle" but if you go for it try the 28" length bbl. That along with a case of slow burning powder and a quality 160 grain hunting bullet will give you an ultimate long range hunting set-up. Ive been a 7mm mag fan since 1970 and I have seen what a big 7 can do on game...

Good luck on your project. Oh,...just curious, what are you planning to use this rifle / chambering for????

Silvertp

·
Registered
332 Posts
I knew MGM would offer it.
I am leary of those big calibers in a break open action!! JMHO
I always wanted a .257 Weatherby Mag BUT was concerned with the pressure. There are guys out there who will make one(ie--MGM)but I will pass.

Just because someone will make it does not mean it is right!! JMHO(again)

Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I HAD NOT CHECKED MGM OUT YET, BUT I FIGURED THEY WOULD CHAMBER IT IF ANYBODY DID. I WAS PLANNING ON A 28'' BARREL, SO THE EASIEST ROUTE WOULD BE TO RECHAMBER A PRO HUNTER BARREL AND MOST LIKLEY THE LEAST EXPENSIVE. AS FAR AS THE PRESSURES GO FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN IT IS RIGHT THERE WITH THE OTHER BELTED MAGNUMS. I KNOW THAT SSK CHAMBERS SOME OF THE WEATHERBY MAGS IN THE ENCORE, AND I HAVE SEEN VVC AND MGM BARRELS IN ULTRA MAG CALIBERS WHICH I AM VERY LEARY OF IN A ENCORE PLATFORM. AS FAR AS RECOIL GOES IT CERTAINLY CANT KICK ANY HARDER THAN THE FACTORY PROHUNTER BARREL IN 416 RIGBY. AND THE CUSTOM SHOP OFFERS THE 416 REM MAG. I REALLY APPRECIATE THE INPUT GUYS.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have ordered a 7 mag prohunter bbl and am going to have it rechambered. I have done quite a bit of researching loads, and plan on handloading my own for it. I do not plan on firing factory ammo through it. I have found quite a few loads for this caliber that are under 50,000 psi. that offer better ballistics than 7mm mag. and all of the loads that I have found are under 52,000 psi. which is less pressure than some of the loads that are for the 7mm mag.
This is going to be a project bbl for extended range whitetail, mule deer and pronghorn hunting.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
JP...I can relate to what you are doing. With the 28" barrel and the 7mm STW chamber you should be able to get the most out of those long slick 7mm bullets. The flat trajectory and wind bucking capability will really help in actual field / hunting conditions.

You will have a beanfield / rolling plains rifle for sure!

Good shooting to ya.

Silvertp

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
According to SSK's web Sight. "He feels it is safe to chamber. Any cartridge with the same head diameter as the 300 Winchester Magnum and in the same pressure Range." Maximum pressure for the 300 Win MAG is 62,366 psi (430.00 MPa) Maximum CUP is 54,000 CUP. There is no SAAMI Pressure limits for the 7mm STW. Although most Reloading manuals Like (Accurates) list it at the 65,000 psi Range As Max. Just food for thought!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I DROPPED OFF THE 28'' PROHUNTER BARREL AT THE GUNSMITH'S YESTERDAY TO BE RECHAMBERED, AND HOPEFULLY I WILL GET IT BACK BEFORE TO LONG. HE IS LEAVING WED 12/2 TO GO TO AFRICA ON SAFARI. HE BUILT THE BACK UP RIFLE FOR A LADY (TERESSA IS HERE NAME I THINK) WHO IS GOING TO TAKE A LION AND A RHINO WITH A BOW. SHE WAS THE FIRST WOMAN TO KILL A ELEPHANT WITH A BOW.SHE HAS HER OWN OUTDOOR TV SHOW AND THEY ARE FILMING THE HUNT. BUT ANYWAY HE WILL BE GONE FOR COUPLE OF WEEKS SO I WILL HOPEFULLY BE ABLE TO POST SOME RESULTS BEFORE THE END OF THE YEAR. ONCE AGAIN I REALLY APPRECIATE EVERYONES INPUT AND COMMENTS ON THIS PROJECT.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just want to keep everybody updated on the project.
I have the barrel back from the gunsmith,it looks great, but have not had time to shoot it yet.
Too cold and windy as well. I have put together test ammo, and mounted the scope and everything is ready to go. I am using a Weaver extreme 2.5-10X56 30mm tube scoe and a game reaper scope mount.
so as soon as the weather clears up and warms up a little more I will be at the range testing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.