Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my .50 and .56 cal cannon, for blanks I always fired either a damp packed paper towel or a patched cork, and live fire a patched ball. As the .75 cal is a little big to patch, what is the best over powder and over ball wad? As I live in MA, I can only get pyrodex which doesn't burn as easily as black powder.

·
Super Moderator
16,900 Posts
Do you have a Bass Pro shop nearby? Go to Bass Pro and in the gun depsttment as for the person responsible powder if they have black powder. Depending on local laws they may have i the back. Do not rely on just any clerk ask specifically for the powder manager.

Get some over powder wads from Cards & wads for black powder shot shells - Track of the Wolf . Get the .125 or .025 for you bore diameter.

Or make yourself a foil cartridge.

Follow the guidelines for making blanks in the stickies.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have a Bass Pro shop nearby? Go to Bass Pro and in the gun depsttment as for the person responsible powder if they have black powder. Depending on local laws they may have i the back. Do not rely on just any clerk ask specifically for the powder manager.

Get some over powder wads from Cards & wads for black powder shot shells - Track of the Wolf . Get the .125 or .025 for you bore diameter.

Or make yourself a foil cartridge.

Follow the guidelines for making blanks in the stickies.
Thank you - I know track of the wolf well I buy all my lead balls from them. As for the black powder its illegal to sell in MA.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Is it illegal to own as well. Just wondering, if not maybe you could buy out of state.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just what l was told at local gun shop. Loose pyrodex is even getting hard to find. Most places just sell the pellets.

·
Super Moderator
16,900 Posts
Something I haven't done for a while is award A Kewpie. Back in the olden days when you went to the carnival and played the games you could win a Kewpie Doll as a prize. Several years ago the fellows at Seacoast Artillery ran a "name this place" contest here on the boards. When they announced the winner-I won. So, I asked, what did I win, a Kewpie Doll? Several weeks later in the mail came a box from Seacoast Artillery and it contained a kewpie doll. Every since I have used that kewpie doll, or rather its picture as an award here on the board.

I give the kewpie for something cannonish I liked. It may be a great picture of a cannon. Often it is a great cannon. Other times it is just for a great build thread. But basically its a cannon picture I like.

Our sponsors have a number of Kewpies, they build some great stuff. I don't give them many awards as great stuff is there norm. They now need to step it up to get a Kewpie. The rest off use hobby builders get a kewpie for nice build.

One of the criteria that I made was that pictures for Kewpie had to imbedded in the post and not just an attachment. I was awarding the Kewpie by imbedding the kewpie by the picture I liked. It just didn't look right with just a kewpie picture in the post and a bunch of attachments stung across the bottom and no way to indicate which picture got the award.

Since my kewpie was lodged in my Fototime account when it go destroyed in the cloud fire, right now I do not think there is kewpies visible on the board.

This brings me to Steve's cannon. He did a great job for a first cannon. Well done Steve. I like this gun. So you win Kewpie! Good job.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts