Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for any other suggestions on a lightweight 7mm-08 rifle or .284 caliber rifle. I hunt mainly in dense woods and do a lot of walking in heavy cover, shooting across small valleys. I'm concerned with the weight of the rifle, and the length of the barrel to a certain point. I'd also strongly prefer to have a detachable magazine and a composite or laminated stock for durability. I'm currently thinking Browning Micro Hunter / Composite Stalker at around $580.00. I would have already bought the Micro Hunter, but I'm a clutz in the woods and that pretty wood stock isnt going to last long with me. The Composite Stalker has a longer barrel and more weight, which puts it in competition with a number of other rifles I've already seen.

I have also been told by my local shop that they have a Weatherby Lightweight or Ultra Light in stainless with Vari X 3 (2x7) scope for $ 1000.00. The guy said the gun and scope were bought there new last year prior to deer season. Although $1000 is a good bit more than $550, Seeing how I'm going to put a good scope on the gun anyway, I thought this might be worth driving over to look at. The VariX 3 is probably worth about 300-350 used (I'm not stuck on the leupold though). So the gun is priced around $700.00.

I have seen a lot of people on here have the model 7 remington rifle and I'm going to look at that one also. I'm a little confused by the remington designations for their rifles. In addition, I grew up "Remington" and have always had a soft spot for them, but their offerings recently have not impressed me. A lot of their stuff has seemed "cheap" to me lately. Some of the newer Remington models I've viewed on the internet do look interesting though.

I know next to nothing about the winchester models that would fit the bill, so any information there would be helpful.

Any other models I have missed?

Some other I already looked at were:

Kimber 84M - very nice, very,very light, very expensive, wood stock - can't see the difference in price though. Shouldered very well for me. Strangely, there own website doesn't show any detailed specs about there rifle products. "Contact your local dealer" isn't going to get it done in the information age.

Ruger 77 compact, seems heavy for it's size, very, very short and compact - maybe too much, very nice and solidly built, reasonably priced. Had the overall feel of a tool, but a gun. Not necessarily a bad thing, I guess. Shouldered well, but felt too small.

Tikka T3 - very nice, reasonably priced, barrel felt long to me, seemed light in weight, seemed well built, didn't like the bolt is enclosed in a receiver, like it might be hard to clean in there. Also didn't seem to shoulder real well for me.

Like everyone else, I'm looking for quality and value in my purchase, along with the things I mentioned above. My top price range is about $ 750.00 for a bare rifle.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
If I had your problem, I'd go out and buy a Model 7 in 7-08 with the laminated stock and put a 1.5x5x20 scope on it from Weaver or Burris.
The 20" barrel of the Model 7 will let you take full advantage of the cartridge. Or enough so that you'll never know the difference. While hunting out west (WY), my son used a M7 in 7-08 (with the old 18.5" barrel) to make our longest shot to date. 284 long steps.
If you can get the rifle with a walnut stock, you might want to consider buying that and get an after market plastic stock for actual hunting. I have several rifles that I have done that with.
I used a 300WM with a 1.5x5 Burris on it to hunt elk for several years. And never felt handicapped. Around here (WV), I use more traditional cartridges with 2.5 and 4x scopes. I'm just not a "poke and hope" sort of hunter.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
You missed the M70 Winchester featherweight and compact models. My son bought me a Rem 7600 7mm-08 with laminated stocks. Pumps are great for these hills. I mounted a Leupold VX 2 1x4 with a German #4 reticle.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Everyone is built differently, obviously, but to me the Rem model 7 handles real nice. This in a stainless/laminate configuration would be ideal if they only still made them.

Regarding the Ruger, the compacts are TOO small in my opinion. Your mileage may vary...

If I'm not mistaken, the Kimber (any Kimber) will be over the budget you listed. They are very nice though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have hunted with a Browinig Micro A-bolt hunter in .308 for a couple of years and here are my impressions: It is a very light, handy rifle. I love the magazine, I hardly ever remove it but I can load and empty it quite easily with the floorplate open. It is a great rifle for hunting, but I don't like to practice with it much because the stock is just a little short for me and in .308, it kicks enough to make extended range time unpleasant. The wood stock has held up decently well for me, and of course the bolt cycles very quickly and keeps my knuckles well away from my scope. If I could do it over though, I would get a rifle with a bit more heft and standard size stock - someday I will put one on it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I've had my M-7 7mm-08 since 1984 and never got to use it until 1989, because I was stationed in Alaska at that time!
I started using it in 1989 and it has taken down the venison every since!

I like it so much I even bought an M-7 in .223 Remington and took deer with it too! My farthest shot with it was a lasered 215 yards, 55 grain bullet tight behind the ribs, the deer then traveled exactly 10 yards!

I ran across a good deal on an M-7 in .308 Winchester 2 years ago at $275.00 with a 2-7 Vari-X II on top! What really surprised me most about this one is that it's probably NRA 90-95%! My wife claimed this one and has taken deer both years with it!

M-7 is a great rifle and light weight and quick handling!

·
Registered
129 Posts
7mm-08

I must cast a very strong vote for the tikka t-3. I bought one for my son last year; it handles like a dream. Weighs 6lbs.3oz. the smoothest action out there. The barrel is only 22 3/8 " which I feel is just right. I had gotten my son a remy model 7, but after handling the tikka the model 7 got sold. To me you could not ask for more gun in the $500-$600 price rangethan the t-3

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have the winchester model 70 classic featherweight in 7-08 for 3 years now and is by far my favorite hunting rifle to date.this rifle really sold me on winchesters. it has a nice smooth action,light weight (if i remember correctly its about 6.5 lbs.). ive always liked the 3 position safety, and if it matters to you,it does also have an adjustable trigger.but if your anything like me,you love just about all guns made.i'm sure any of the above you would be happy with,its just finding the one that gives you that warm fuzzy feeling . good luck on your search and safe shootin

·
Registered
372 Posts
browning micro

I bought the browning micro in both 7mm-08 and 223 I love this little rifle. Checkout my post in medium bore titled " new favorite whitetail rig" [/url]

·
Registered
506 Posts
You may want to take a look at Ultralight Arms http://www.newultralight.com/

I saw a 7mm-08 they built while at a gun show in WV a few years back. It had a 22" barrel and Kevlar stock and weighed about 5.5lbs with a scope. It shouldered well but can't speak for how it shot. I know they had a problem with the firing pin when marketed as the Colt Light Rifle but I've heard that has been corrected.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'd second the vote for the t3. I have the LS in 7-08 and it shoots incredibly well. It's easy to carry (light), reasonably priced, has a great trigger out of the box and is really simple in design (cleaning, assem/disassem are simple).

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you like Brownings get the Stalker. I have one and love carrying it and shooting it. It is lighter than an average rifle and the stock a tad smallier than many. Try a nice spongy neoprene sling no matter what you get. Those things really make a difference to a shoulder and they are very cheap. I have converted many to these by merely having them take a few steps while shouldering my rifle. I like the balance and feel of a model 7 but like rifles I can shoot a bit more. I think a laminated model 700 Mountain rifle ( great looknig, lightweight, well balanced, compact but not 'micro") rifle would not be a bad choice. There are just some features I like better with the A-bolts. Either would be nice.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I"m like Handwerk and t3shooter....bought my son a 7-08 t-3 a couple of years ago. I love borrowing it back from him when I go strictly deer hunting. 1/2" groups with your basic corelokt ammo all day long. The 7-08 is a deer killing machine.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Pete50

Well, if you "grew up "Remington"", then you definitely need to take a look at the Remington 700 Mountian Rifle LSS in 7MM-08. They come stainless with a 22" barrel, a laminated stock and weighs in at 6 1/2Lbs.

Here is a pic of mine with a Burris 3-9X40 Ballistic Plex scope.

Not only do they look good, they shoot good as well. The only thing I've done to this gun is adjust the trigger.

In addition to the 140Grn Sierra Game Kings and 140Grn Nosler Accubonds shown above, this gun will also shoot MOA or better with 154 Grn Hornady Round Nose, 150 Grn Nosler Ballistic Tips, 139 Grn Hornady SP and 140 Grn Nosler Ballistic Tips.

If you have not actually held one of these, you certianly need to before you make up your mind. They are well balanced, shoulder well, point naturally and as you can see, they are accurate right out of the box.

Here is a link to the Remington 700 Mtn LSS web page:
http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/700mtnls.htm

firstshot
---------------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the replies. I looked at all of the rifles listed except the utlra light arms. I choose the Browning Micro Hunter 7mm-08 for $549.99 from Gander Mountain. I can tell you that Remington appears to have a fine rifle in the model 700 mountain both in LSS and DM configuration. Price was in the $650.00 range. It looks really good. I'm already thinking about that one next in .260 Remington, maybe, lol.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Pete- definitely get the 260 - perfect caliber BUT, ya know I got a 260 Browning so maybe I need a 7-08 Mountain rifle. Those things feel so perfect. But then...I kinda want a Tikka.....oh and a CZ 527 in 222 and .....perhaps a semi auto 22 for fun and...... Congrats on the Browning- very fun little gun and pretty too.

·
Administrator
26,057 Posts
I just happen to have an almost as new LSS Mtn. Rifle in .260 Rem. for sale. Could be had with or without a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9 Firefly scope on it. If any of you .260 guys are interested PM me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts