Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Magnum CF bottleneck cartridges have been a no go in the Handi.

BB

·
Super Moderator
51,896 Posts
H&R listed 7mm Rem and 300Win Handi-mags in the 2008 catalog, but they never made it off the drawing board, they required a new Mag rated frame which was never made and were dumped when distributors failed to place enough pre-orders to warrant the production expense of even a prototype frame.

Tim

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
Never made the mag but they did make three 7mm's that work very well. 7-08 ,7x57 Mauser and the 7x64 Brennekke. Kurt

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
I have all three but have never used the 7-08.
The 7x57 has proven it's self many time for my youngest son and the 7x64 just flat ain't for sale.
Both will get the job done in a hurry!

LONGTOM

·
Registered
6 Posts
I want to get another .280 bad and the ballistics aren't far off the 7mag and it has less recoil, dropped 2 deer @ 375 yds in one day with it and never before or after have i made shots that far. If your looking for something like a 7mag go with the .280 its a very accurate gun.

·
Registered
24 Posts
ferg7909 said:
I want to get another .280 bad and the ballistics aren't far off the 7mag and it has less recoil, dropped 2 deer @ 375 yds in one day with it and never before or after have i made shots that far. If your looking for something like a 7mag go with the .280 its a very accurate gun.
Don't forget the .280 can be reamed out to Ackley Improved. Near 7mm Mag Ballistics with less back pressure on the frame than the factory cartridge. Plus still able to shoot factory ammo in a pinch!

·
Super Moderator
51,896 Posts
bighunt said:
Plus still able to shoot factory ammo in a pinch!
That's not normally possible since the barrel can't be set back when going from 280 to 280 Imp, you'd have to reface the chamber and shim the barrel for that to work, or start with a 7mm that has a shorter chamber(maybe 7mm-08) to clean up to go to 280 Imp, been there, done that with more than one H&R, my 280 Imp Ultra has over .010" headspace, .009" for the 35 Whelen Imp. With misfires being a problem even in a properly headspaced Handi, I'd hate to rely on factory ammo in an improved chamber.

Tim

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
PHATINJUN said:
Never made the mag but they did make three 7mm's that work very well. 7-08 ,7x57 Mauser and the 7x64 Brennekke. Kurt
I really, really wish they would start remaking the 7x57, I just love the cartridge, gets the job done without all the extra fanfare (excessive recoil, muzzleblast).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.