Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how far from the lands are you guys seating your bullets? the last ones i shot were about twenty grand from touching. so may be you handi experts can tell me how far yours are seated from touching and how good they shoot? i have a load that shoots about an inch. i was wondering if i could improve just by seating a lil bit closer.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Rollback, I just set my OAL from the reloading manual and my reloads shot under an inch. I didn't bother experimenting beyond that. Have fun! 44 Man

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i usually go a thirty second of an inch per the hornaday manual off the lands, but a few of my problem childs i go a might closer. not being real familar with loading for the handi was sorta wondering what the experts had to say. i sure wish i was as lucky as some and just find an accurate load off the bat, but i guess that takes all the fun out of tinkering. lol

·
Premium Member
6,755 Posts
I snug a bullet into a inprimed case and close the breech. The lands seat the bullet. I then back off about ten thousandths in the same manner and close on that case. If I'm
Not engraving too deep I load em and shoot em.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
mechanic said:
I snug a bullet into a inprimed case and close the breech. The lands seat the bullet. I then back off about ten thousandths in the same manner and close on that case. If I'm
Not engraving too deep I load em and shoot em.
That's the best way to do it. As the headspace will increase in barrels that have had shot several thousand thru .

·
Super Moderator
51,500 Posts
Headspace has nothing to do with the rifling or distance to the rifling, it's the measurement from bolt face/standing breech to the point in the chamber that the round stops against, shoulder, rim recess, belt or case mouth against the end the chamber for some straight wall rounds like 45ACP.

In firearms, headspace is the distance measured from the part of the chamber that stops forward motion of the cartridge (the datum reference) to the face of the bolt. Used as a verb, headspace refers to the interference created between this part of the chamber and the feature of the cartridge that achieves the correct positioning. Different cartridges have their datum lines in different positions in relation to the cartridge.[1] For example, 5.56 NATO ammunition headspaces off the shoulder of the cartridge, whereas .303 British headspaces off the forward rim of the cartridge.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headspace_(firearms)

Freebore or leade is the unrifled part of the bore and that increases as the rifling wears away(moves forward) increasing the distance to the lands.

Free bore (aka: leade) is just that, it is the area ahead of the bullet ogive (throat) in a rifle barrel to which there is no rifling lands, once the cartridge is fired the bullet travels freely in the barrel until the bullets ogive contacts the lands of the rifling, hence free bore. The leade angle is the angle cut by a chambering reamer on the very end of the rifling lands. This allows the bullet to begin its engraving into the lands on a relatively gentle angle. All centerfire rifles have a free-bore area and handloaders can take advantage of this with prudent reloading skills.
http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.rifle-barrel-free-bore.html

·
Super Moderator
51,500 Posts
Just off the lands when I can reach them, that's not always possible with lighter/shorter bullets and long throated Handis, otherwise to recommended COL.

Tim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
You do not want the bullet to be touching the rifling if you're using loads listed in manuals.

I like my bullets 7 to 10,000 off the rifling. But that's just an arbitrary number the rifle will tell you what it likes experiment 5000 to 15,000 to 10,000 to your rifle tells you what it likes

CW

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
For my .357 mag I made A dummy round. Started with an unprimed case, no powder. Flared the neck lightly, set my cast bullet in place straight, loaded the round. Case was sticking out something just over 1/4 inch. Pulled the round, using my die I set it deeper, no crimp. Just case pressure holding it in place until i could just chamber the round fully without seating into the rifling. At that point I backed off the seating stem and adjusted die to do just a light crimp. Then screwed my seating stem back down until it made contact, lowered the ram and added 1/4 to 1/3 of a turn deeper to my seating stem. Then loaded my cases.

When i tested them at the range my first 3 rounds went into 1 hole at 50 yards. My rifle just spoke.

I keep that dummy so I can reset the die if I ever need to.

Same process with .360dw brass. Both leave the cast boolit just a hair off the rifling.

The key to this is when you work up a load that puts 3 in 1 hole, make notes of what you have been doing. So you can duplicate it.

·
Super Moderator
51,500 Posts
rollinrock said:
like how far tim? i have no problem touching with the 120s i touched then seated .020 deeper. i can push them back out farther if need be.
What CW said, .007"-.010" off the lands, jacketed bullet ogives are too inconsistent in my experience to try for any much closer, starting pressure for a bullet into lands will increase pressure ~7200psi, if done on an already max load you're flirting with something between a pop-open up to a potential catastrophic results.

Tim

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i think i will seat her about ten grand off and see what happens. im about 1.7 grains from max so i should be good there. ya know come to think of it i dont think any of the ten or so rifles i load for like max loads. im gona try it and report back. i think if the gun gets shot a little bit more it will probably shoot better also. how many shots does it usually take for things to mate up properly?

·
Registered
579 Posts
I am fairly new to reloading for handi's but I usually make a dummy round and and seat the bullet very long and try to close the action, I seat slightly deeper until the action closes easily then just a bit more. I start my loads at that point. This seems to work well for the last four I have worked up loads for. 300 b/o, 444 marlin, 356 win. and 35 whelen. The only rifle I didn't do this way was my 44 mag, which as of now is my least accurate handi. Have not loaded for the 30-30 yet, but it shoots 150 grn cor-lokts so good not sure I will?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts