Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got achance to get a 7 RUM BLR new for $499.00 ! Is this a good deal ?
What do you guys think of the round?

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
A 7mm Rem Ultra Mag in "BLR"? Refresh my memory, but I didn't think that the BLRs came in the Ultra Mag.

I have a 7RUM in a BDL SS but I haven't shot it yet. I got a Bushnell Elite 4200 4x-16x-50mm for it in Warne Maxima Silver rings and bases.

As for the round itself, it is very flat shooting, but at the expense of being very overbore. Then again, I don't plan on shooting hundreds of rounds a year in it either.

BTW what ammo do you plan to use for it. I'm going to try the factory 140 grain core-lokt ULTRA which retain over 85% of their weight and keep a nice mushroom.

Zachary

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Opps! I meant BDL, brain fart, I guess ! :shock:

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
It'll kick much harder than a .30-'06; it'll be more expensive to shoot; it'll burn out the barrel faster than you'll want to believe; and all in all it won't give you much more in accuracy or hunting results (at the 'real' distances that we should shoot at) than a .270 or a .280.

Why not shoot for less? Why not better-enjoy the more efficient, lighter kicking, yet still-deadly rounds that are more agreeable to your wallet and your shoulder?

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Yea, you're right, but there's just something to be said about a rifle that just shoots flatter than a board. Plus, at the velocity that it's going, that bullet will (and has) hit a deer like a freight train. :biggun:

Is it necessary? No. Is it less expensive to shoot? No. Does it have less recoil than most hunting rifles? No.

BUT DOES IT STRIKE LIKE LIGHTNING? OOOOOHHHHH YEAAAAA! [/color]8) :eek:h: :yeah:

BTW, $499 for a NIB BDL in 7 Ultra Mag is a great deal! Just have a competent gunsmith do a trigger job for you with a trigger pull of about 3 to 3.5 poounds or whatever you feel most comfortable with.

Zachary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts