Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
8) [/color]I have been shooting cast bullets in my 7TCUs for years. I decided to shoot my XP-100 in UAS in full and 1/2 scale silhouette. I have been using Nosler 120 Ballistic tips for both.

My shooting buddy and I recently purchased some bullet swaging dies for 7mm. Bullets are coming out good in 120 grain, and in 168 gr. Since I use the gun for full size, I have been thinking of going to the 168s. I have never lost a target to a 120, but I don't want to either.

Anyone shoot 165 to 170 grain bullets in the 7TCU? Looking for powder, case, primer, and bullet info. If you hesitate to give me powder weight, no biggy. Just need good combinations of powder, primer, and case with heavier bullets.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve

·
Registered
96 Posts
sierra 168 info

I shoot sierra 168 match kings. range pick up military brass, cci 400 primer, AA2230C ~26.0 grains if I recall correctly. around 1800fps. It takes rams really well. Shot 35/40 first time with that load and that was chasing sight setting at 150 and 200m at the LASC. I got the powder cheap and it seems to work good. also shot N110 with same case and primer. Dan. ps Cast rock for silhouette, leave a big splat and transfer all the energy.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Seve, I have shot some 168 gr G.C. Billy Bullets...

...they performed really well with 26 grs of AA 2520 O.A. L. 2.40". I have a 10 inch barrel. I had it sighted in with 100 gr Sierra Hollow points that were loaded pretty hot. Me an P.J. went up to do some plinking and I tried the 100 gr bullets at about 400 yds. They were zipping right in there with the scope holding over to the first graduation on my crosshair. We tried the 168 gr bullets and I figured I would really have to hold it high, ....took a shot and couldnt see where the bullet was hitting, so I tried coming down a little, as it turned out the 168's were hitting 'dead nuts' with the crosshairs centered on the target. We couldnt figure that one out...especially since I was zeroed at 100 yds with 100 gr. bullets. Needless to say...me and Paul were pretty impressed. I didnt notice any leading in the barrel with that load either.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
O.K. Have yet to try cast in the 7tcu, but have been shooting 160gr. Speer Mag Tips. The load is 25.5gr. of H322 with a CCI 400 primer in WW brass at an OAL of 2.625. My barrel has a long throat and a tight chamber as this is a max load for me. Velocity is a touch over 1900fps at the muzzle and produces .750 groups at 100. My pet load involves a 139gr. hornady slug and suprisingly poi is the same with either slug at 100yds.

One thing I have noticed is that the 160 grainers tend to string vertically when shot in rapid succession. When a minute or so is allowed between rounds this doesn't happen.

Also the H322 powder tends to show pressure signs quickly as .3gr. shows major pressure signs but is the best I've tried. Don't try these load specs without working up a load and length to match your own barrel. As I say mine has a long throat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts