Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got PJ's 7X30 barrel in a trade a few months ago. PJ told me of a friend of his that shoots 175 gr. bullets with his 7X30 with great success. So I tried 154's, 162's and 175 gr. bullets just for the **** of it. I also had lot of 139's on hand. I get my best groups using the 175's. Everything I shoot in this barrel gets great groups but the 175's are far superior. Now I have heard that they may not expand well if at all. But for punching paper or knocking down tall buildings they are just great. I was just wondering if any of you folks shoot the heavier bullets with your 7X30's?

·
Registered
579 Posts
I use mine primarily for hunting and I don't use over 130 grn bullets, and prefer to keep it to 120's. The problem you get with those larger bullets (as you stated) is that you won't get the velocity required to get decent (or any) expansion in the hunting environment. I know my 120 grain bullets will retain enough velocity to be shot out to 175 yards for deer sized game (and maybe a little more depending on who you ask and how hot you load them). I keep 175 as a maximum, and only then if I have a good, solid rest and feel comfortable about the shot. You have to be able to make the shot before you pull the trigger.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I bought a box of 175's some time back and just had them sitting on a shelf till I bought my 7-30 barrel, then used them to fireform brass..works great..funny quick aside..I was showing some friends what the fireforming process looks like..30-30 brass..weird looking necked down 30-30 brass loaded with 7mm bullet...fire..newly formed 7-30 brass. the funny thing was we were shooting into a rather large log that had been set on its end on an old milk crate..the 120 Bt's just zipped right in and the log would slightly tip..every time we shot it with one of the 175's we had to set the log back up..knocked it over everytime..at about 75 yds.

·
Registered
500 Posts
OLDMAN, my friend uses the 175gr bullets for Elk and he NEVER LOST ONE YET,one shot kills every time he pulls the trigger.I have seen it ,he shot one bull at 80yrds bullet went right thought that elk and droped him in its tracks.

·
Registered
294 Posts
PJ on Elk?

Your friend uses a 7-30 Waters for Elk with what bullets. I thought this round might be too light for Elk and your post intrigues me.

Can you tell me his load, bullet, and barrel length?

·
Registered
500 Posts
rimfire,his load is 30.6grs of IMR4064 with a 175gr Hornaday #2850 SP.The barrel length is 12" and gives him 1950+fps.
*****If you try this load start 10% lower and Work-up to the 30.6grs.****
He said he loaded them up to 31grs but, accuracy was not as good as the 30.6gr charge out of his barrel.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you plan on using this for hunting just keep your shots to 100yrds or less.It does work a number on deer as well.To me accuracy is the BIGGEST factor in a clean kill.The 7x30 with the 175's is a real eye opener.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
PJ,

What do you think about Hornady 175 Round Noses with this load? I would guess that they would do better at lower velocities and pack a punch. I was going to try them in my 7mm Mauser and thought I'd play with them in the 7-30. Your thoughts?

Blessings!

ShootnStr8

·
Registered
166 Posts
Something to watch for when using heavy bullets. I was testing 7mm 140 gr. Ballistic Tips in wet newspaper for expandsion. When I got the velocity down to abt 1850 fps., they would tumble on impact with the wet newspaper. The tip of the bullet was broken off and the bullet was somewhat U shaped, showing that it was sideways while it had some velocity left. I shot a group with the load and the accuracy was ok. The bullet was stable enough for flight, but not on impact. When bullets are shot at a higher velocity the RPM is much higher then when it is fired at lower velocity. At distance the bullet will lose a good bit of velocity but very little RPM. The bullet will still penatrate straight even though the velocity is down to 1850 fps. When started at 1850 fps the bullet is stable enough for flight, but will tumble on impact, because the RPM is not fast enough. I would suggest that the long 175 gr. bullets, at lower velocity, be tested in wet newspaper, before using them on game. 8)

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Joe Kool,

Thanks for the excellent advice on wet newspaper testing. I've been using Hornady 139s. Their performance on deer was similar to their performance on wet newspaper. In both cases the performance was impressive -- great pentration and wound channel.

PJ,

Was there any evidence of key holing with your friend's elk?

Thanks, guys!

ShootnStr8

·
Registered
60 Posts
heavy bullets

Hi guys ___ I may be wrong on this but, doesn't a faster twist in a barrel enable it to stabalize a heavier bullet better ,thus enabling it to use a heavier bullets,My 14 ' 30-30 has a lot faster twist then my 10 ' 30-30. THANKS BAYRUNNER

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.