Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After wanting a 14" 7x30 I finally got one, First trip to the range with the "factory loads" that came with it man My 44mag had nothing on it. Locked the frame up 3 times.
Load information removed. Do not post loads on this forum
Question How tight should the chamber be ? The rounds just fall in and you can rattle them in the chamber, all my other TC'S fit kind of snug. The chamber looks ok.
Preacherman

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
I have some brass for you! ;)

I suggest you make a chamber cast.

I had a 14" and a 21" carbine for my tenders years ago. My wife claimed the carbine and killed her first deer with it! Use a Speer 130g sp. worked great!

This is a really nice caliber. IMHO H&R BADLY missed the boat not clambering the hands rifle in this caliber.

CW

·
Registered
140 Posts
This is one of my favorite calibers. Mine is a 14 inch barrel with a 4X Weaver and it's a shooter. In the Lyman 47th Edition is the only load that I have ever tried. Load data removed. Read the FAQ

This load shoots great and has never showed any signs of high pressure.

Regards, Keith

·
Registered
46 Posts
This will be my second year using a 14" T/C Contender in 7-30 Waters. The darn thing is so freaking accurate! Three rounds of handloaded Hornady 139gr SST's almost touching one another at 100 yards, shot from a rest.

As to how tight/loose they should fit in the chamber, none of mine rattle. This is the second go around with my brass. The first loading was factory fresh brass. On the second loading, I neck sized only so they fit nice.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Looking at my 14" 7X30. My reloads also fall into the chamber, they rattle too until I close the action. A fresh fired case is also loose in my chamber. You should remove the extractor and try to insert a fired case into the chamber, if it is tight you probably have a pressure problem. Check for any gap between the receiver and barrel when locked-up, my outfit has zero gap.

The only time I thought I had a problem was when one of my hunting partners fired cases got mixed up with mine, I reloaded the case (neck-sized), wouldn't load into my chamber, then I pulled the bullet and full length re-sized, still wouldn't chamber. Neither of the two 7-30's had an issue with chamber tolerances as long as we were careful not to mix up our brass. You shouldn't have a problem with chamber tolerances as long as you start with virgin brass that is fitted to the chamber using the shoulder rather than the rim to head-space. Check your case length, my cases made from 30-30 brass are shorter than specs for 7x30 headstamp.

I have never fired factory ammo. I have used WW 30-30 and EABrown cases.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I finally got it going my way. I found some Win. 748 powder, loaded 36.0 gr with a 120 BT. oal 2.850. I shot 5 rounds just for test all 5 around an inch group at fifty yds. with no signs of pressure issues. I think the "factory rounds" that came with it was hot reloads. also mounted a Tasco pro class 4x scope with burris extra high rings. It just needs a little tweeking.
Thanks
Preacherman

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Preacherman said:
I think I finally got it going my way. I found some Win. 748 powder, loaded 36.0 gr with a 120 BT. oal 2.850. I shot 5 rounds just for test all 5 around an inch group at fifty yds. with no signs of pressure issues. I think the "factory rounds" that came with it was hot reloads. also mounted a Tasco pro class 4x scope with burris extra high rings. It just needs a little tweeking.
Thanks
Preacherman
(as you know PM) I have a few of these myself and like them! 2x, 3x & 4X 30mm with very good glass for a Trashco! My first was on a Contender 30-30, that was almost twenty years ago... its still on there and works perfectly today!! I have another on my Lil ******* 22 maggie.

Another on a 12g my wife likes for turkey shoots and still another on a Sheridan air rifle.

There is still one more in my cabinet . :)

CW

1 - 7 of 7 Posts