Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if Winchester's great folly will be introducing a short magnum with the same bullet diameter as a tremendous source of sporter material.

How hard an undertaking would it be to rechamber a surplus Mauser (non-collectible of course) to 325 WSM? I'm assuming the barrel would have to be taken back a bit for the shorter action, but also would it be strong enough for the WSM?

Or would the accuracy of the non-collectible Mausers be unworthy of a custom rechambering?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
It would be folly to rechamber an original M98 in 8x57 to the .323 WSM, IMO at least. The chamber pressure is very high with this cartridge, but worse is the very large diameter of the case. This translates into much greater breech thrust on the action ( about 20% more than a 7mm Remington Magnum ), well in excess of the design of the old action and far higher than other cartridges normally used when rebarreling an M98. Combined with the surface-hardened steel of ancient M98s vs the through-hardened steel of modern guns and you have a poor idea.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would sure like to know what the safety margins are on these old military rifles. I was surprised to see 98 Mausers made in magnum chamberings, then just got used to the idea. I think I've even seen 98 Mausers in 375 H&H.

I'm aware of the pressure and size differences in the WSM line, and take it then that they cross the line of what is a good factor of safety in a 98 Mauser?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Even if it didn't fail from pressure, it's certainly not going to feed. Who's going to want a single shot Mauser? No, stick to cartridges the Mauser is made to handle and you'll be way happier.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you really want to go there why not a 8mm based on the 300wm case (which I know has to exsit but the name escapes me right now). Correct OAL and can be made to feed better. If you have the action length, use it. I have a hard time with putting a short action cartridge in a long action that is designed to get the long action energy in a short action (if that made sense). With the longer cartridge you can lower the pressures and bolt thrust for the same velocity. Now if you are using the shorter length 98 action I could maybe see it but as said earlier the metal probably wouldn't handle the high pressures well. So go with the tried and true if you want a WSM buy a new one but if you want a souped up 8mm try the longer case.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The idea was an easy to build 325 WSM big game rifle with all the advantages of a military Mauser. I'd assume that 325 WSM is more affordable and available than the 8mm Rem Mag. If a more affordable 8mm Rem Mag loading were available, and it were viable in a Mauser, I'd take it over the WSM any day for reasons listed above.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kind of. A friend of mine has the bench and I've added a couple dies for my calibers. I have one set that I've never used. I'm not currently into wildcats if that's what you were suggesting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Try 8 x 60 it is the cartridge that was used in the day for these conversions. should get you right up there with the 325 wsm without the pressure issues. Not going to find ammo everywhere but it is available and the only work shoud be a rechamber.

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
The 8mm Remington Magnum will take anything on the North American Continent, and beyond. It is basically a 7MM Magnum opened up to 8mm. It is a whopper.

The 325WSM is a very heavy hitter, but you can come closer than you think without blowing yourself up or getting into pressure problems. There are a number of 8mm calibers you can convert a mil-surp Mauser to: The 8mm/06 is one, the 8x60mm is another, as is the 8x63mm. I would research barrel twists and accuracy data with different 8mm bullets before I would begin such a project. The twist of the mil-spec barrels may be just right for military loadings but might not be accurate enough for the higher speed hunting cartridges in the same bore.

When I look at the success of the different cartridges that have been based on the 06 case I have always wondered why someone didn't make a real stomper out of the 8mm/06 - probably didn't want to make the investment in a european bore diameter using old mil-surp rifles when they (a) wanted to push American ammo/calibers and (2) didnt want to deal with the liability issues of hot loads in old mil-spec rifles. JMHO. Mikey.

·
Registered
102 Posts
An 8mm Remington Mag is not a 7mm reminton mag opened up. It is a blownout and necked up 300H&H mag. The case lengths are significantly different. An 8mm Remington mag is too long to fit in a mauser action without a lot of work. An 8mm remington mag is the same length as a 375 H&H.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I'd consider one that would get the most power out of the standard length Mauser action, but there comes a point where it isn't cost effective. If it's a wildcat, I'd have to wait till I got better set up for reloading.

Also, if it can't come close to the 8mm Rem Mag in power, it isn't really worth it. The ideal 8mm wildcat would be one with the rebated rim of the 284 Win and the length of a 30-06, that way it would need nothing besides a rechambering and feed lips alteration.

·
Registered
39 Posts
not easy...

first, the military barrels don't have enough shank to set the barrel back far enough for the new chamber. Second, it is a pain in the neck to get the short mags to feed in a Mauser. Nothing wrong with the Mauser, plenty of them in magnum chamberings like 300 wm and other high pressure rounds.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts