Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here on another we have been talking alot about bench shooting and things like that. So, it came up today at the gun shop I was at and no one really knew. What does it take to make a 1,000 yard gun?

Im guessing you would need one heck of a scope and spoting scope. Maybe a golfcart to check your targets. :) But, what kinda round is used for something like that? And, what kinda rifle is used?

The guy I was talking to is trying to do it with a Savage model 12 in .300 mag. Will that work?

I know that the .50BMG will do it. But what outside of the .50BMG will do it, and what rifles will? Do you have to go full costom or would a Savage type rifle do it?

Dave.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I confess that I do not keep track of such things, but being a fan of the .300 H&H Magnum I know that in 1935, Ben Comfort won the prestigious 1000 yard Wimbledon Cup with his .300 H&H, which led to Winchester chambering for the caliber in 1937. So I am sure any of the .300 mags are capable. I am also aware of the .30/'06 being a standard prior to this.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The "world cup" of long range shooting is done with open sights and a .308 winchester round. The venerable 308 does a lot of things well, eh?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here's a link if you want to learn more about 1000 yard shooting.
http://www.benchrest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12
Hope that's not a no-no to post links to other sites here...

My club hosted a bench rest match over the memorial day weekend and I went down to check it out as I've never watched a bench rest match. It was quite an eye opener for me, as I shoot hunting rifles exclusively, preferably lever actions. All the guys in the match were shooting some kind of custom rifle, mostly in 6mm BR. I thought I might like to shoot bench rest, but after observing for a while, it seemed pretty mechanical, and takes the 'art' out of shooting a good group. JMHO. I was most surprised about how much fuss was made over the little bit of wind that was blowing that day. Wind flags all up and down the range. Can't even imagine 1000 yard match...

·
Registered
753 Posts
There are afew who use a savage action for a 1000yd rifle. the matches are in two groups light and heavy rifle. The light group you have the 6dasher,6br,6.5x284,6.5x300wsm plus a ton of other wildcats then in the heavy mostly 30cal again alot of wildcats. The smallest groups are shot with the heavy rifle. I think the heavy rifle has to be above 16lbs could be wrong on that weight. I think some clubs have a factory class also. The 308 is OK but lack the case capacity for those heavier LVD bullets used nowadays. Well good luck. Tom Holland AKA Roper

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
I can't think of a place with in a day's ride of here that a fellow could shoot a thousand yards............I don't remember a place over in middle tennessee that has a 1000 yard range but it's been several year ago that I lived over your way.......where do you go to do this Cash? The local rifle club here has a 500 yard station, but it's only open for comepetition as they shoot over the road........300 yards is the farthest ever day station at the rifle club........I have played around with the lazer range finder while out on the hunting lease and 250 to 300 yards is about as far as I can see..........I suppose I could get a longer distance by shooting hilltop to hilltop.......but most of it is grown up tall and so steap I really would not expend the effort! :lol:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
victorcharlie, I do not know of a place to shoot 1,000 yards. Like you 300 yards is about my every day max range. It was just today we were talking about 1,000 yard guns and I was just woundering what it would take to get there.

I have a Remington 40X-B here at the house I have not shot in about 4 months. It has a 2oz trigger and a pretty good scope. It is a .308. I would like to see how far I could push that. It shoots good at 300-400 yards. I do not know how it would do at 1,000 though.

From what I have read on line and seen pictures of, it looks like the guy at the gun shop is going to have a hard time pushing 1,000 yards with a all stock Savage using "off the shelf" box ammo. Huummm you never know I guess.

Dave.

·
Registered
753 Posts
hunt127588 said:
I would think some long range shooters shoot a .30-338 which is a .338 Win Mag case necked down to .30 cal. A local shop here just had one built which was on a Nesika action (http://www.nesika.com/show.htm).
If you pull up the result on 1000yd matches you will still see the 30-338 listed as well as a 300mag every once in awhile. I've been shooting the 30-338 for over 20yrs now also at one time Rem made the 40x in a 30-338. One nice thing about the 30-338 it shoots everything well one of mine had a 1/10 twist barrel the other 1/12.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Shooting an out of the box savage and factory ammo at 1000 yards? I know my savage is accurate......but 1000 yards? That's over a 1/2 a mile! I'd be doing good to hit something the size of a car at that range!

I went through basic training at Ft. Bliss Texas and McGregor range in New Mexico..........A fellow could shoot a longgggggg way out there! That's when I traded my Remington 788 for that sorry Winchester XTR in 7mm Magnum......Long shots are the norm out there........that was a long time ago......

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
The Barrett Model 821A-1 in .50 "It has been purchased by over 40 militaries worldwide". They ( Barrett) say," whether you like to play around and go plinking or you need accuracy for long-range competition................."
As a "plinker" i`ll stick with a .22 i`m sure it`s a might cheaper.
There are others i`m sure but the .50 looks to be head and shoulders above the rest. Besides when a .50 gets to it`s destination ( besides paper)
it really delivers the "put-down ".

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
There are a few diehards still shooting open sighted .45-70s and even muzzleloaders at 1000 yards! Don't forget, a one inch group at 100 yards is only a ten inch group at 1000. All you have to do is allow for the wind. :) :) :)

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Oh I know there are people that do it.............I've read about a sniper scoring a hit in Afganastan at 2300 yards with a 50 BMG.........

I just don't have any where around here close to practice at 1000 yards!

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
Ramrod said:
There are a few diehards still shooting open sighted .45-70s and even muzzleloaders at 1000 yards! Don't forget, a one inch group at 100 yards is only a ten inch group at 1000. All you have to do is allow for the wind. :) :) :)
Yea, the wind will change several times and in different directions. I think it is fun shooting my Shiloh Sharps at 200 yards and waiting for the gong. I can't imagen 1000 yards. :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
http://www.thebestofthewest.net/longrangeshootingforhunters.html

This video shows some extremely long shots on large animals that drop immediately. According to this page:

http://www.thebestofthewest.net/html/TheEquipment.html

the author is shooting a cartridge called the .284 WRP. This is much smaller than I figured he would be using seeing the performance on an elk at 750 yards, but it obviously can deliver on game performance

"The cartridge is called the .284 WRP and is VERY similar to the commercial 7mm STW. The only difference is in the throat geometry. I change the length of freebore and leade angle to make it shoot better. 7mm STW factory throats are not the best design for good accuracy. Standard brass and loading dies work perfectly and I suppose so would factory ammunition if I wanted to increase ammo costs and decrease performance levels. This combination will shoot a 150gr bullet at 3400 fps in the 26 inch barrel."

·
Registered
29 Posts
the 308. does it everyday...i have a friend on another site that put 20 in 1 hole at 1000 yards,he is a national shooter,he can be reach over at savageshooters.com and his name is (joe zulloe)all i own is savages and everyone i own is very very acurate,with little or no modification....i would never own any other brands,but have owned many in the past,and there customer service is great...also there is a custom shop that makes parts for savage,everything you need to get set up for a 1000 yard gun,there site is on the savageshooters list,the name is (sss)sharp shooters supley...hope this helps....

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
kyhunter308, did you really mean to post "20 in 1 hole at 1000 yards"? How big was the hole? :-D :-D
There are very few here who would swallow a wopper that big.

·
Registered
29 Posts
go talk to MR .JOE ZULLOE over at savageshooters.com and ask him,he will tell ya all about it, and his friends that know him and shot with him on the site will back him up....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts