Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on getting a .45-70 Handi and putting a scope on it for mid-Michigan brush and low light deer hunting, 200 yds max. I shoot BPCR with a .45-70 so I have the moulds and capability to hand load. What is a good, affordable scope for this rifle? I know nothing about scopes, don't want to get lost in the weeds and buying twice. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,755 Posts
Most of the available low power shotgun scopes work
Well for the money. I've used a Simmons pro diamond, as well as a Leupold from
A yard sale. Both were fine, of course the edge goes to the Leupold. For the money the Pro Diamond shotgun scope is great.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
In the last year I have bought several scopes in the "affordable" class. Which I consider to be any scope under 100$.

Barska barfed on me inside 6 months on the good one, the bad one was bad from the factory. Then there was the monstrosity which started with a M, it insisted on shooting 8 inches to the left at 25 yards no matter what I did. And I had one from the B company which didn't last a day at the range, frustrating.

Then in desperation I bought one of the Simmon's pro diamond scopes for about 60$. Wow, it works, and it keeps on working. It is a straight 4 power so not a long range scope IMO. I have it on my .22 at the moment which has not gotten out much in the last year.

But that Simmons got me looking at other Simmons in the under 100$ range. I currently have 4 scopes on 4 different barrels that are all 4-12x40. simmons, in the mid 60's $ range. No extra bells and whistles, no lasers, no fancy BDC compensator's, but they WORK.

I have one 3x9x32 as well but I have found for accuracy at the 100yard mark shooting paper that extra magnification helps these old eyes.

Your mileage may vary. But for the last year I have been very happy with them. And if I have to replace one in the next year or 2 you won't hear me cussin.

·
Super Moderator
51,500 Posts
Here's a good discussion on the 45-70 that includes scope and ring info, I have a 4x Leupold M8 Compact on my 45-70 Talo Trapper, bought used in the Optics Classifieds here on GBO for $125. The 4x32 Simmons Pro Diamond is another good recommendation, lots here have em and are very happy with em, so many I bought one too for my BC Carbine! 8)

Tim

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-centerfire-rifles/bought-first-firearm-(update-handi-rifle-45-70-)/msg1099563186/#msg1099563186

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
I always recommend Leupold. Affordability is one thing but you get what you pay for and buying a scope is important of you want usability accuracy and good optic. Face it, we buy scopes cause we are getting older and cannot see open sites well enough for accuracy... Why skimp? You already are WAY ahead of the guy with the Ruger #1 price wise, spend a bit of that which you saved on good optics.

Now having said that, you don't need to break the bank either! Most of the Leupolds I own where bought used. many like Tim mentions right here in our own classifieds! All at half or less original costs. Another Nice thing with Leupold is there LIFETIME GAEURANTY. Its one the SCOPE not its owner... SO BUY with 100% confidence it will work or just return it for repair. You just pay shipping there.

Nikons are another good choice. There Prostaff line is 1-300$ and good quality.

Something else to know, some lines of scopes simply are not handi friendly if your one to like your scopes mounted low as possible to the barrel.

CW

·
Registered
78 Posts
mechanic said:
Most of the available low power shotgun scopes work
Well for the money. I've used a Simmons pro diamond, as well as a Leupold from
A yard sale. Both were fine, of course the edge goes to the Leupold. For the money the Pro Diamond shotgun scope is great.

This man speaks the truth, I have a simmons pro diamond on my .223, it was on my 357 before it sold, works great on both. its a 4x32 ... I would think past 150 would be a strain on my eyes for accuracy, but 50-100 yards is no problemo

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Given the intense recoil of the .45-70, I would highly recommend a Weaver "Classic" K scope, in 4x. New, you can find them for around $150 to $175. Used, in VG condition, you can find them for around $125 to $150.

These scope have great optics, and are built like tanks. Plus, they have generous eye relief, so they are easier to mount. If you take care of them, they will last a lifetime.

And, if you ever decide to sell it, you will get 90% of your money back.

If you buy a cheap scope, then you have a cheap scope that will not last in the long run. Try to sell it, and nobody will buy it.

Don't go cheap on a scope, you will always regret it after a while. (There is a reason they are cheap!)

Mannyrock

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
I use cheap scopes only "until I can afford to buy a Leupold" because I know they're going to break at some point. If you can afford a Leupold from the get go then go for it.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Weaver Classic V7 2-7x32 is one of the most handi friendly (low mounting) scopes with very good glass for the price. Natchez may have em on sale.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
cwlongshot said:
I always recommend Leupold. Affordability is one thing but you get what you pay for and buying a scope is important of you want usability accuracy and good optic. . . .
^ ^ ^ this ^ ^ ^

Doublebass73 said:
. . . If you can afford a Leupold from the get go then go for it. . . .
^ ^ ^ and this ^ ^ ^

mannyrock said:
Given the intense recoil of the .45-70, I would highly recommend a Weaver "Classic" K scope, in 4x. New, you can find them for around $150 to $175. . . . .
^ ^ ^ and this ^ ^ ^
my .444 ate 2 not-so-goods before i put a new K-4 on it. still plugging along ok, which is all i ask of one. if it
pukes, i'll buy a new leupold for it.

mannyrock said:
Don't go cheap on a scope, you will always regret it after a while. (There is a reason they are cheap!)
^ ^ ^ this probably most of all ^ ^ ^

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Ok I'm going to give you some variety! I am very pleased with my Redfield Revolution scope. Redfield is made by Leuopold now and American made, with exception of the Revenge series of scopes.

BW

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I have four of the Redfield Revolution scopes, they are very good and have the Leupold guarantee. One of the Redfields, a 3-9X40, is on my Ruger 1S 45-70, does very well!
FM

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to all for your thoughts. I made notes of your suggestions for the future. I was at a local gunshow yesterday and picked up a nice condition El Paso Weaver K4 for $40.00. Now I need mounts. What would be the appropriate mounts for this rifle? Do I really have to use the scope rail that comes on some models? I think I'd like the scope to set higher on the barrel to be able to look straight into the eyepiece. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
There is a whole passel of information here on that!

Take a look at the FAQ'S sticky at the top of this page or just click on this link:

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?topic=26264.0

Then search for SCOPE BASES.

PLEASE USE CONTROL F or F3 TO SEARCH THE PAGE

Hit F3 or hold down the ctrl key and hit f, a search window will open, type the word you're looking for (SCOPE BASES) and hit enter, keep hitting next until you find what you're looking for.

Command f for you use an Apple.

BW

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
666 Posts
Flynmoose said:
I have four of the Redfield Revolution scopes, they are very good and have the Leupold guarantee. One of the Redfields, a 3-9X40, is on my Ruger 1S 45-70, does very well!
FM
Not quite. The Redfield line comes with the same type of "lifetime warranty" that most other major scope manufacturers offer: TO THE ORIGINAL OWNER, which means you'll need the receipt and probably the UPC off of the box it came in.
Redfield non-electronics products are warranted for as long as the owner owns them. We warrant them to be free of defects in materials and workmanship and function at a high level under normal use conditions. If at any time a Redfield non-electronic product is found to have a defect in materials or workmanship, Redfield will, at our discretion, repair or replace it free of charge, when requested by the original owner.
Leupold's warranty on all their Gold Ring optics is for the lifetime of the SCOPE, doesn't matter who bought it, or when. If you happened to scoop up an old VX-II out of a ditch while dipping for crawfish, you can send it back and Leupold will fix or replace it, Period.
With the Leupold Gold Ring Full Lifetime Guarantee, if your Leupold product doesn’t perform as promised, we will repair or replace it for free, whether you are the original owner or not—forever (excludes electronic components). You don’t need proof of ownership. Or a warranty card. And there’s no time limit.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts