Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read a little about Ruger's new GP-100 in .44 Special. It got me to thinking about all the 44 magnum stuff I still have. I could use all those cast bullets I have and the jacketed too of course. I would have to get more brass but if worse came to worse I could cut down the 44mag brass...
Then it really hit me! I got way more stuff for the 41 magnum.
I wonder if there would be enough steel to chamber the 41mag in a 5 shot
GP-100? That would be an awesome handgun!!! The GP isn't what I would call a light weight revolver but it doesn't sink a barge either. Maybe they could use the same type of steel that they did in the Super Red hawk .454 Cassull. I think I remember reading about the type of steel or the treatment that allowed the Cassull to be chambered in a 6 shot Super Redhawk.
So what did you think about a 5 shot Ruger GP-100 in .41 Magnum?
Can it be done? I don't know. But I want one (or two or ...) Since they've already made 5" barrelled 357mag why not a 5" .41mag? And of course a 4" and a "6 also? The article about the 44Special GP-100 was a 3" gun. I could see uses for all of the barrel lengths from 3" to 6". I rather doubt all those but a 4" and 6" would satisfy me!
Who else thinks this would be a fun gun and a great gun?
Please Ruger, please! I want one!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have been wondering the same especially since they make one in 10mm!

I’d love to have a gp in 41mag w 3” barrel.

Great minds think alike lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess we could start nagging Ruger for this chambering all they could do is say No!
I could see a stainless 4" barrel with the full lug, unfluted cylinder, Hogue wooden grips, high visibility sights and perhaps a model that would accommodate some type of red dot sight like the Burris Fast fire 3. I don't know what I would sell off to get one, but get one I would! I guess I should start typing up my requests to Ruger. How about some help guys!

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
IS the cylinder long enough? A 5 shot 3-4 inch barrel sounds cool to me.

·
22,721 Posts
id say they wont because there isnt much demand for one but then they did make 44 specials and 10s and they dont command a big audience either. Id have to guess if it will take the 10 it would take the 41. Heck smith does 5 shot 44 mags on the L frame and the gp is probably a stouter gun then they are. If im not mistaken Dave Clements used to do gp100s in 41. I think he quit the double action guns altogether though. he built me a 41 mag and a 44 spec 5 shot on a old model 357 blackhawk. Matter of fact im not really a 41 fan (much more a fan of the 44s then the 41s or even the 45 colt) but that 41 mag he built is the only 41 mag I still own.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts