Graybeard Outdoors banner

a little help from you Optics gurus

968 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Wolfgang 
#1 ·
After a disappointing deer hunting trip I have decided to get a good scope (a compact) for a lightweight deer rifle I have and am lately carrying more and more. I would like a 2x7 compact scope with a illuminated dot on the crosshairs or a lighted reticle. I have several scopes but only a couple of good ones. I would like to get Leupold and would also want an objective lens of 32mm minimum for good light gathering capibilities. I do not believe Leupold makes a scope like this. Do any good quaility manufacturers with a lifetime warranty make something similar to what I want?...Thanks....<><....:)

#3 ·
Leupold has a 1.5X5X20 IR VX3 $600. I have this scope, and really like it, it is the previous VXIII though. Trijicon has IR type scopes 3X9X40 close as you can get is about $640. First takes batteries second is tritium power. Good for ten or twelve years the it's back for a tune up out of your pocket.

#4 ·
Personally I'd suggest you forget the lighted crosshair route and just get a good bold plex type reticle but then I'm not sure I've ever been called a guru so what do I know.

If you insist on a lighted cross hair tho take a look at the Mueller line up they seem to specialize in those lighted scopes and they use only a small dot in the center so it doesn't blind you in low light situations and they do have and honor their life time warranty.

#7 ·
Thanks for the good input guys. I really don't like gimmicks but thought I would spend some good money on a good new scope for once.
GB, I will look into the Mueller scopes, and I don't really want a fully illuminated reticle, but a small red dot in the center might be nice for these old eyes. Also just 10 oz's for a scope would be something I would think would be very acceptable and light enough to carry all day....<><....:)

#8 ·
I mounted a Burris FullField II 2-7x35mm scope on my Marlin 30-30 for this season. Out of a two week hunt I carried it for a week. Went from warm temperatures, to rain and snow. Changed elevation from 3000 feet to 7000 feet. The scope had no fogging issues and gave a clear picture in early morning light in a timber stand. Hunting within the legal hours of ½ before and after sundown I found it to be adequate. I am sure there are large $1200 scopes that will do better, but I was happy with my $169.00 scope.

Model:
2-7-35

Field of View (Feet@100 Yards) Low-High:
45-17

Exit Pupil (mm) Low -High:
16-4.6

Click Value (Inch@100yards):

Max Adj. (Inch@100yards):

Weight (Ounces):

Features of Burris FullField II 2-7 x 35mm Riflescopes:
• Steel-On Steel Clickers - precision accuracy and depend-ability
• One Piece Main Tube - for added strength and waterprofing
• All Lenses Multicoated - for enhanced light transmission (Light Transmission Calculation - 95%)
• One Piece Power Ring / Eyepiece - for quick adjust and fewer potential leak paths
• Double Internal Springs
• Quard Seal - double insurance against leakage
• European-style Eyepiece Focus
• Soft Rubber Eyeguard
• Purged and nitrogen filled 24 times
• 100% Waterproof Tested
• Lens Covers Supplied

Whether I had the scope set at 2x or 7x when I brought the rifle up I had a full field of view. This was the first season I carried the rifle with the new scope on it during the season.

#9 ·
MSP,

If you take a look at the Muellers, I think you'll be impressed. If you don't want the reticle lighted up then don't turn it on. I have three of them right now and will probably end up with more. The first one I looked at was one that I asked my friend who owns a small gun shop to check into. He called Mueller and is now a stocking dealer. I have the Mil-Dot Tactical on my 308 that I use at work and I ended up with two of the 3x9's with the German Post type reticles which I have come to reallllllllly like. ;D They are super fast on target and have held up really well. I one of them now resides on my 357 Max Handi taken off of my 44 mag Handi and the other I really put to the test on a hard kicker. It's mounted on my Savage 10ML which really lets you know when you touch it off! :eek: That is the hardest kicking gun I own to include the 45-70's and the scope has held up for several years with no issues.

Best,

Wolfgang

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.