Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what a 348 cartridge blown out to 44 would be called or is it a wildcat. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
Claybyrd :D

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yeah, that appears to be a Wildcat. There is a .40-.348 and a .450-.348 and a .450 Alaskan, all Wildcats but I haven't heard of anyone doing it with a .44.

Too close to the .450-.348 and .450 Alaskan, I guess.

Ka6otm

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
new cartridge

Hey Ross where can I find more info on the 11mm werndl and .429 davis extra magnum? Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Claybyrd,
I got them from Dr. Ken Howell's _Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges for Rifles and Handguns_, ISBN 0-9643623-0-9, one of the best $60.00 investments I've ever made. Your local Carnegie library should be able to get it for you on interlibrary loan.
I know nothing of the Davis, except that it a shortened (1.6") .348 case with a sharp shoulder. The case displaces 98 grains of water.
Google will get you some data on the old Werndl gun and cartridge. I make mine from .348, though the rim is a tad bashful. The case displaces 127 grains of water, and is listed as the Gras 11x59R.
Regards from Grayest California,
Ross

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
new cartridge

Thanks for the info Ross. Darn, thought I might have something new. Plan on making a custom lever with it.
claybyrd

·
Registered
166 Posts
claybyrd, Sounds like an interesting wildcat, but you may run into bullets problems. 44 caliber bullets are probably designed for the top velocities of the 444 marlin. The Barnes X bullet may work. You could use a cast bullet with a large meplat like the LBT styles. Cast of wheel weights +2% tin and oven heat treated, you may be able to get them up to the velocity potential of the cartridge. You might want to give the bullet manufactures a call and find out what the maximum velocity their bullets will stand up to. 8)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Claybird,

There is reportedly a .348-11mm wildcat designed to make cartridge cases to shoot in a .43 (11mm) Spanish Remington Rolling block rifle. The .43 Spanish is nominally a 0.439" groove diameter.

The base diameter of the .348 Winchester is a bit large for the .43 Spanish chamber, so cleaning up with a chambering reamer should work fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts