Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been asking questions about loading a Philadelphia derringer
IMG_1153.JPG
I own on here and now wondering about manufacture of this gunl.
Bore is smooth, and measures .399 with dial caliper. I'll try and post some pictures of it and hope the pros on here can answer some questions for me, please. No stampings at all, no name, numbers not a hint?
IMG_1153.JPG
IMG_1154.JPG
IMG_1153.JPG
IMG_1154.JPG
IMG_1153.JPG
IMG_1154.JPG
IMG_1156.JPG
IMG_1157.JPG

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm not an expert.
I Googled ".40 caliber percussion derringer" and clicked images to see if it matched any examples that appear in the search results.
A person can find 1000's of photo results, but I'm not going that far.
Virtually every example has some kind of stamping or engraving on it, and some are obviously older than others.
Most all of them have some kind of checkering on the grip, will say Philadelphia Derringer whether it's an original or not.
The age of yours is unknown,
It has bluing.
We don't know if the threads are metric or American.
We don't know if there's any markings under the barrel.
We don't know if there's any markings on the back of the lock.
We don't know if the gun was built from a kit or by a gun smithing company.
The stock looks unblemished.
They did not embellish it very much and the lack of identification would seem to indicate that the maker didn't want you to know who made it unless they left hidden markings.
There could be initials or at least the name of the maker of the lock behind the lockplate..
Some expert may be able to identify the lock if ithey;ve seen it in a book or in person.
It begins with trying to find out how old it is.
I don't have a clue, do you?
I searched a gun maker's forum and came up with a post by someone who built a derringer "kit" and posted this about it.

"In regards to power, many years ago I built a .41 derringer with a 2" barrel and a cheap imported lock on a scrap of maple just to play with it. The power was rather disappointing. It was not much more than a common sling-shot.

In a "social situation" gone bad it could be possible to intimidate someone, but it is dreadfully outclassed by more modern hardware such as a snubnosed .38 revolver. As a mid-1800's type of muzzle loading pistol it does make for a neat little building project however." --->>> Pedersoli Philadelphia Derringer problem

It could have been built with parts from Dixie Gun Works, Track of the Wolf or have been brought back from Pakistan where they can copy anything. Even a solder could have brought it back from anywhere.
You need to try to find some clues..
You can ask on the gunmaker's forum but you need to have some information to offer.
Check the threads, look under the barrel and behind the lock plate.
And even then, it looks like an older kit gun unless you can find clues to its age from the maker of the lock.
It's a nice clean old looking gun, that could be an antique.
But the stain on the stock makes it look modern,
And I can't see from the photos if the barrel is round or if it has been defarbed in an attempt to remove any markings.
Why doesn't the barrel have a front sight?

·
Premium Member
4,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Barrel is half round with flats on the top and sides, I've had the lock out of the gun and found no markings there either. Finish appears to be brown or just rusted?
Steve

·
Premium Member
4,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not an expert.
I Googled ".40 caliber percussion derringer" and clicked images to see if it matched any examples that appear in the search results.
A person can find 1000's of photo results, but I'm not going that far.
Virtually every example has some kind of stamping or engraving on it, and some are obviously older than others.
Most all of them have some kind of checkering on the grip, will say Philadelphia Derringer whether it's an original or not.
The age of yours is unknown,
It has bluing.
We don't know if the threads are metric or American.
We don't know if there's any markings under the barrel.
We don't know if there's any markings on the back of the lock.
We don't know if the gun was built from a kit or by a gun smithing company.
The stock looks unblemished.
They did not embellish it very much and the lack of identification would seem to indicate that the maker didn't want you to know who made it unless they left hidden markings.
There could be initials or at least the name of the maker of the lock behind the lockplate..
Some expert may be able to identify the lock if ithey;ve seen it in a book or in person.
It begins with trying to find out how old it is.
I don't have a clue, do you?
I searched a gun maker's forum and came up with a post by someone who built a derringer "kit" and posted this about it.

"In regards to power, many years ago I built a .41 derringer with a 2" barrel and a cheap imported lock on a scrap of maple just to play with it. The power was rather disappointing. It was not much more than a common sling-shot.

In a "social situation" gone bad it could be possible to intimidate someone, but it is dreadfully outclassed by more modern hardware such as a snubnosed .38 revolver. As a mid-1800's type of muzzle loading pistol it does make for a neat little building project however." --->>> Pedersoli Philadelphia Derringer problem

It could have been built with parts from Dixie Gun Works, Track of the Wolf or have been brought back from Pakistan where they can copy anything. Even a solder could have brought it back from anywhere.
You need to try to find some clues..
You can ask on the gunmaker's forum but you need to have some information to offer.
Check the threads, look under the barrel and behind the lock plate.
And even then, it looks like an older kit gun unless you can find clues to its age from the maker of the lock.
It's a nice clean old looking gun, that could be an antique.
But the stain on the stock makes it look modern,
And I can't see from the photos if the barrel is round or if it has been defarbed in an attempt to remove any markings.
Why doesn't the barrel have a front sight?
Yes, I tried all that before posting here?
Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts