Graybeard Outdoors banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
IG,

Did you finish "The Fort" yet? I was looking for a book review. I would really be surprised if it wasn't good, like the rest of Cornwells' books. I thought you were going on to Agincourt next? Get started on it and you won't be able to put it down.

Let me guess how you manage to read so many books. I guess you have the same bad habit :eek: I have. You leave a book in each of the "libraries" :p , cars, family room, kitchen, and two on the night stand. ::) ;D
I read a couple of the Shaaras (Michael & Jeff) books, but didn't get around to "Rise To Rebellion" yet, I was sidetracked, by a Ralph Peters book "The War After Armageddon". This book makes you really think, about our dealings in the middle-east.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
OSRanger;
"The Fort" was excellent..I finished it wishing there was a sequel to carry directly on from there. Local color, descriptions of tactics, equipment etc added to the interest. A great read.
Yup; my reading habits are about like yours..carry a book with me if I have to "wait" anywhere..can't go to sleep at night without a few pages.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I like reading historical novels by Jean Larteguy, a French man who wrote about the French Indochinese war (our Vietnam, but the French were driven out by severe defeat at Dien Bien Phu in NW Vietnam in 1954) and the Algerian war of independence. There is VERY much in these books that bears on our current engagements in the middle east. Two excellent books are "The Centurions" and "The Praetorians." I've also got another book by him named "Yellow Fever" about Saigon and Hanoi. The "Yellow Fever" refers to a fondness for the orient and/or oriental women that some French soldiers developed during their assignments in Indochina.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
alsatian said:
I like reading historical novels by Jean Larteguy, a French man who wrote about the French Indochinese war (our Vietnam, but the French were driven out by severe defeat at Dien Bien Phu in NW Vietnam in 1954) and the Algerian war of independence. There is VERY much in these books that bears on our current engagements in the middle east. Two excellent books are "The Centurions" and "The Praetorians." I've also got another book by him named "Yellow Fever" about Saigon and Hanoi. The "Yellow Fever" refers to a fondness for the orient and/or oriental women that some French soldiers developed during their assignments in Indochina.
Interesting recommendations. The question I have is, are these books hard to find in book stores (like Barnes & Nobles)? Or do you have to special order them?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Recently finished
TO THE LAST MAN: A NOVEL OF THE FIRST WORLD WAR
By Jeff Shaara

This is another good example of the genre Historical Fiction.
Like his other novels, and like his fathers KILLER ANGELS,
J.Shaara uses a broad brush for the events and actions of the War,
reserving the detailed descriptions for how the characters
(for the most part real historical figures) are affected and how they react.
Certainly most of the dialogue and behind the scenes descriptions are fiction,
but the style is effective and to me very interesting. This is obviously not
a book of tactics or for use in academics, but again an entertaining and IMO
enlightening read.
PK
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

from amazon . com

• [li]Hardcover: 672 pages [/li]
    [li]Publisher: Ballantine Books; 1ST edition (October 26, 2004) [/li]
    [li]Language: English [/li]
    [li]ISBN-10: 0345461347 [/li]
    [li]ISBN-13: 978-0345461346 [/li]
    [li]
    [/li]

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
ironglow said:
A newly discovered author (new to me, that is)...Bernard Cornwell . I am reading his book .."The Fort".. concerning the Revolutionary War in Penobscot Bay, and the battle for British Fort George. The general story is close, though he does do some name substitution. The stories are filled with details as to gear, equipment and tactics etc, that only a well studied author would be aware of.
You may recall when his series about Richard Sharp, British soldier (served from 1799-1821)...was seriaslized for TV..an excellent series. When I finish this book, I plan on checking out his book called "Agincourt".
If anyone is interested in the book "The Fort" recommended by IG. Borders has the hardcover edition currently 70% off the list price of $25.99 or $7.80 for (as my wife likes to say) you mathematically challenged guys. ;D
Most of the other books suggested are also discounted, if you can find them. They do have quite a few copies of Tom Clancy's book "Dead or Alive" in stock at 60% off. I also saw other books by Bernard Cornwell, Jeff & Michael Shaara also discounted.

·
Premium Member
3,609 Posts
For you avid readers who like serious older books I recommend a Kindel reader. You can get most older books free. I just finished Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain, and wondered why I hadn't read it a long time ago. A little shocking after we have been politically correctified for several decades now.

·
Registered
365 Posts
bilmac said:
For you avid readers who like serious older books I recommend a Kindel reader. You can get most older books free. I just finished Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain, and wondered why I hadn't read it a long time ago. A little shocking after we have been politically correctified for several decades now.
"Is .... is he dead?"

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
alsatian - the books by Jean Larteguy, are out of print. A used paperback copy of the book "The Praetorians" sells for $75.00 on Amazon. A little rich for my blood. Do you have a copy you would care to lend?

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Rock said:
Master & Commander – A great introduction to the series. The main Characters of the series meet and become life long friends. Very good book. It lead directly to my acquiring other books in the series.
Was that the book that led to the movie Master and Commander, the far side of the World? Great movie BTW.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
PHP:

I've been looking for Jean Larteguy's books in the local libraries. They aren't available, wish they were.

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
The only fiction that I read is James Michener

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Michener's books are almost like reading/living thru historical times. Fantastic author, one who is sorely missed.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
bugeye - I devour books, if you tell me what genre, or historical period, your interested. I can recommend authors that are at least up to par with Michener. Although, they won't have the same fantastic detail as Michener's books regarding the land. Either The Covenant (about South Africa), or Poland was the last one I read. It's been a while.

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
bugeye - I devour books, if you tell me what genre, or historical period, your interested. I can recommend authors that are at least up to par with Michener. Although, they won't have the same fantastic detail as Michener's books regarding the land. Either The Covenant (about South Africa), or Poland was the last one I read. It's been a while.
My main interest is the OLD northwest, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, etc.
I have hundreds of books on that, only a few with nothing copied from other books.
Plus,Hundreds more on hunting in Africa in the 1800's, not to mention old sailing stories, whaling, etc.
So, I doubt if I ever buy another book because I have a lot that I haven't read yet.
But thanks anyway.:tango_face_smile:

·
Premium Member
3,534 Posts
Reading about James P. Beckwourth right now. About halfway through the book. Surprised there is a male Indian still alive. They sure fought each other a lot.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts