Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a story, true as can be, that happened to ME yesterday.
I live in the boonies on 14 acres of woods in a very modest ranch house surrounded by woods, fields, deer, rabbits, squirrels, geese, and shooting range in my back yard. (jealous yet :) )
So what?
Well I accumulated a ton of trash over the past few years. That is a personality disorder that has its roots in being born and raised DIRT poor and I am completely unable to throw out a perfectly good lawn mower that caught fire 2 years ago and burned to the rims.
You get the picture? Well it was time to get rid of the junk 'cause even I couldn't stand it.
Trying to make the homstead beautiful and by golly she's getting there.
My fiance called a guy we found in the p p p pap p p per w who ha a ad a terrible stu stu stu stutter.
I didn't speak with him, she did. He would haul all my junk for 65 bucks!
You gotta be kidding. There was at least FIVE large pick up loads!
Anyway this dummy shows up with a HUGE truck, and is wearing a "I'm a born again Christian" t-shirt.
Whoooooooooooooo-boy, one of THOSE!Anyway I could hardly m m make out a w w w word he was saying 'cause he stu stu stuttered so bad.
So I put on leather gloves to help this poor soul out as he looked like he was hauling junk for a living.
Oh.
He WAS hauling junk for a living huh?
Anyway he was makig q q q uite a bit of talk and s s s oon started talking about God and being re-born two years ago.
Now check this out. When he talked of God his stuttering STOPPED completely.
I was shocked and don't think this guy even knew it.
He spoke the most beautiful words, quoted scriptures, talked of his small church and the outreach program, how he hauled scrap, separated the metal and sold it for the Church.
He and I talked about God as we worked together and he didn't mispeak ONE word!
He told me basics about the bible that I'd forgotten due to my great intellectual crusades.
He was the kindest, most loving, good natured, hard working man I'd met in a very, very, long time.
When he spoke of work or family or anything else he stu stu stuttered so bad as to be hard to understand at all.
But when speaking of the Church and his beliefs, his VOICE CHANGED COMPLETELY and every word was like music.
The guy was a lay preacher and he must deliver an awesome message.
When the work was done and time to pay up I could not help but pay him DOUBLE the price he asked and now I'm ashamed I didn't give more.
He hugged me and said God touched me and caused me to double pay so he was going to give the extra money to the poor as the money belonged to God not him or me.
THAT IS WHAT A CHRISTIAN IS!
Frankly I'm not fit to wash that mans feet!
I was, and still am deeply touched and feel God sent that man to knock me right off my self righteous, pompous, intellectual perch!

·
Registered
42,257 Posts
I have known of a man who has tourettes syndrome ( most people with this ailment can hardly speak...except for a string of cuss-words).
This man though, doesn't cuss and preaches like a marvel..
He has memorized, as far as anyone can tell, the entire KJV Bible and it seems noone has caught him flat....when they called for a scripture verse by number , he could quote it for them...
I haven't crossed his path for a few years....i hope he's still alive and preaching..

·
Registered
244 Posts
Jaeger I can't answer your question, but here is something to think about.

Mike

1Co 1:22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
1Co 1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
1Co 1:24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
1Co 1:25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
1Co 1:26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
1Co 1:27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
1Co 1:28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
1Co 1:29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.
1Co 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
1Co 1:31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord. [/color] KJV

·
Registered
38,356 Posts
jaeger. Putting that mans stuttering in print was not necessary, we all know what stuttering sounds like. One of my sons stuttered badly as a child and was treated very poorly as a result by his classmates. Stuttering is nothing to laugh about, we weren't all born perfect like you. I'm glad that someone was finally able to knock you off your self righteous, pompous perch. POWDERMAN. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
powderman:
So who was laughing at the mans handicap?
And who said I was perfect except in your mind?
I know my flaws and defects of character and readily confess them because I'm not perfect and I know it.
You are personally attacking me and I have no idea why.
I can be pompous and arrogant at times and need correction and I accept that without reservations.
It's called personal growth.
I have every right to express my veiws on religious issue as you do.
We do not have to agree, likely we never will, millions don't.
Religious discussion by nature is the most volitile of all discussion due to the fact that people get personally involved and basic belief systems are often threatened.
Superstition and tradition comes into play also.
You don't like my post, the way I speak, or the subject matter I discuss.
That's what an ignore feature is for.
Or be adult and simply don't respond with such bitter negative emotions.
It's difficult to maintain objectivity in matters of religion and politics but with effort it can be done.
I don't take anything personally here.
These messages are nothing more than electrons on a screen, a complicated mechanical marvel, but a mechanical device none-the-less.
I knew a very religious Pentecostal that felt so strongly about the pagan symbols on a Church lawn that he gathered them up and set fire to them.
"Billy the bunny burner" went to jail over his inabliltiy to control his emotional response to what he viewed as heresy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.