Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am neck sizing for a 250 Sav cartridge. When I seat the bullet there is very little resistance. This tells me there is very little "grip" on the bullet from the brass neck. The rounds I full length sized have more resistance when the bullet is seated. With the neck sizing will it adversly affect the pressure buildup usually attained with a crimp or is this normal for neck sized brass/bullet combinations.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Possum said:
I am neck sizing for a 250 Sav cartridge. When I seat the bullet there is very little resistance. This tells me there is very little "grip" on the bullet from the brass neck. The rounds I full length sized have more resistance when the bullet is seated. With the neck sizing will it adversly affect the pressure buildup usually attained with a crimp or is this normal for neck sized brass/bullet combinations.
Probably is just the variations between die manufacturers or production lots; if you have calipers or mics measure the case neck o.d. to verify what you notice. Contact the die mfg with your measurement; they will often swap out dies if you have a problem.
I would suspect minor pressure variations in the big picture of pressure development.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Does the expander ball pull back through the case with a lot of force? If so I would say the expander ball is a little large. If there is no force at all then the die diameter is too large. See if the die manufacturer will replace it. KN

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.