Graybeard Outdoors banner

Accuracy Problem

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  brdavis 
#1 ·
i can not seem to get my rem. m700 mt .270 to group anything but the managed recoil 115 gr and they will not expand on game
hit a buck (2) times in the chest at 183 yards and the rounds did not expand at all - total pass through and could not find the holes until the buck was skinned out both good shots to the chest right to point of aim buck ran about 60 yards. looking for something that will group AND expand

#2 ·
Are you using commercial ammo or reloading? It shouldn't be to difficult to develop a load for a Remy 270. Perhaps there are bedding issues with the stock or possibly scope issues. What kind of groups do you get?

#3 ·
factory ammo 1'-1.5" with the 115gr 4-5" with everything else the rifle was gone over by a good guunsmith - Bill Moyer, he did all the work on it when i got it from the factory it was a basket case it needed a good going over did a complete bed and trigger job and floated the barrel it does have a pencil thin barrel on it but it still shoots the 115's good and opens up with everything else i have tried

#6 ·
My personal experience with several Remington 700s in .270 doesn't back up that "likes 130s" idea. Now I fess up I've not tried nearly as many 130 loads as I have 140s and 150s but of those I have the heavier bullets always shoot better.

For that M700 Mtn. Rifle give the Hornady Custom ammo with 140 grain a try. It has shot under an inch in every R700 .270 Win. I've owned as has Federal Premium with 150 Nosler PT. Those are the two factory ammos I've shot the most of and in several rifles all Remington Model 700 Mtn. Rifles both have consistently stayed under an inch at 100 yards for three shots.

If yours won't I'd suggest taking a look at the bedding. I had a .30-06 Mtn. Rifle that just wouldn't group until I bedded the action and then it shot tiny little groups from then on. I tried removing the pressure points Remington put on it and accuracy was again horrible so I replaced that pressure point. These days I alwalys leave the pressure point in Remington rifles especially the thin barrel guns.

#7 ·
eod20 said:
the rifle was gone over by a good guunsmith - Bill Moyer, he did all the work on it when i got it from the factory it was a basket case it needed a good going over did a complete bed and trigger job and floated the barrel

eod20'

I'd ask Mr. Moyer what the problem is! Didn't he shoot it after working on it? Are you reactive to muzzle blast / recoil? Why didn't you contact the factory about it?

It really doesn't add up.....

ss'

#8 ·
If I remember correctly the managed recoil bullets are for shorter distances, like less than 100 yards. If you are flinching you need to buy a better recoil pad for your gun. Just for the record my .270's ( Marlin & Winchester) both shoot the Winchester Super X Power Points 130 grain very accurately! Funny thing is one kicks like a mule and the other doesn't!

#9 ·
Well the buck was hit twice and I assume dead when the hide was removed . I would say the bullet did it's job . I have shot deer taking off the top of the heart and lungs and they still Ran .Have shot deer with a half inch hole in and out and after fifty yards or so they were found dead . Have made chest shots taking out two lungs and opposit shoulder and it still ran. The animals when found were all dead . They are tuff animals
About the only thing I'd ask eating that deer at the table " Pass the potatoes "

#10 ·
I have never had a Remington that would not shoot well at the range no matter what the caliber. I can tell you that those Core-Lokts are very good in the expansion part and accuracy part. I have shot the wife's .270 model 70 Winchester and it loves the Remmy Core-Lokts in the 130 or 150 grain. It even shoots my reloads even better in the 160 grain Nosler Partitons!

I would FREE float the barrel if it is not already for starters, making sure no wood or plastic from the forearm touches the barrel. You can use a double piece of plan writing paper to check the tolerence ok. Next I would check all the screws in the mounts and rings on the scope. I would also check the scope to, if this rifle has on on top the barrel.

#12 ·
well the night before opening day i got my hands on some 150 gr rem sp it is shooting about 2" groups now centered and 2" high not as good as i want but better than it was and ok for now i will keep looking for a better load until i get it back to clover leafs but with a bullet that will expand

#13 ·
Oh dear ......................... oh deary me :(:-

I would FREE float the barrel if it is not already for starters, making sure no wood or plastic from the forearm touches the barrel. You can use a double piece of plan writing paper to check the tolerence ok. Next I would check all the screws in the mounts and rings on the scope. I would also check the scope to, if this rifle has on on top the barrel.
It's that mantra again ::) :'(

Obviously missed this bit:-

If yours won't I'd suggest taking a look at the bedding. I had a .30-06 Mtn. Rifle that just wouldn't group until I bedded the action and then it shot tiny little groups from then on. I tried removing the pressure points Remington put on it and accuracy was again horrible so I replaced that pressure point. These days I alwalys leave the pressure point in Remington rifles especially the thin barrel guns.
Free floating is not the holy grail that a lot profess it to be and I firmly believe in modern production it's a cost cutting measure and nothing more.

#14 ·
Shooting 2 inch groups, with a pencil thin barrel, out of a light factory rifle, with factory loads, is certainly acceptable and within spec. You shouldn't be complaining.

If you want to tighten up those groups, then try a few more factory loads, and then start experimenting with handloads.

Until you have done this, then I wouldn't touch the bedding or pressure points.

Best.

Mannyrock

#15 ·
There are lots of suggestions that I had, but given that you have already had a competent gunsmith look over it, I'm not sure what to say.

All my Remingtons are shooters - I mean under an inch with at least a couple of different types of factory ammo. That's not to say that ALL remingtons shoot, or should shoot, that well, but I have never seen a remington shoot 4" to 5" groups like you said.

I guess just get another remington.

Zachary[/color]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.