Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Anyone have any experiences with these barrels? My dad bought one in 22-250 bull barrel, put it on a Mauser 98 and fitted to a laminated stock. We shot it the first time tonight and it shot 7/8" with Winchester factory shells the very first group. It would appear that this gun, when broke in and load development, could be a shooter. I also recently came into possession of an 24" 06 Adams & Bennett. I was thinking of getting rid of it but may keep it now. Any thoughts on these barrels for hunting rifles? :roll:

·
Registered
338 Posts
a&b barrels

Built one for a close friend on a 98 in 22-250 and it only shot 1-1/4-1-1/2 groups for the first 150 rounds or so. I was sorta imbarrased to have any thing to do with it . But the other day he came over and was blasting nice groups. Like out of four shot three would be a ragged hole at 100 yards off of sandbags. Seems like it broke in or he found a load. I figure the 4th was a flier. So judging that I think they are a value for buck.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
:D A buddy and I bought some of these to make some low $ shooters out of some surplus 98s. We have them in .06, 280, 338(2), 22-250. All shoot groups under an inch. I had the .06 rechambered to AI. With Remington nickel brass, best load for hunting so far was printing a group about 1.25 inches at 100. 2" at 200. I will keep working on this load and see what happens. Same load in LC Match brass with print .75 groups at 100 and 1.25 groups at 200. Bret has a group with the .280 .5" at 200. I would have called him a liar if I hadn't been sitting there when he shot it. Three shot group, two touching.

They are worth the money.

Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts