Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very nice Mod 70 classic sporter in 30-06 tht I was considering putting a ramp front sight on for use with a peep if a scope ever failed...just curious if anyone here has done rhis, what effect it might have had or will have on accuracy, etc. thanks

Jasper243

·
2,656 Posts
I guess its possible the addition of a front sight could change the vibration characteristics of the barrel and affect accuracy, but I wouldn't worry about it. I have plenty of scope sighted rifles with iron sights that are plenty accurate. Modern scopes are pretty reliable, but I still like having back up sights on a serious hunting rifle.

Larry

·
24,004 Posts
Im with larry. It might change the vibration of your barrel slightly but id doubt it would change anything. If so its just as likely to make it better as it is to make it worse.

·
Premium Member
3,611 Posts
Mount a Leupold one it. A variable but not too much power. You will not regret. Never needed an iron sight in 50 years and I've shot a few deer at less than 10 yards.

A quality scope mounted correctly is all you need.

·
24,004 Posts
sure cant argue with that. Opens are ok on a lever gun, ar or some 22lrs. But I have NEVER used the open sights on any bolt action centerfire rifle ive owned. Put a good scope on it. More precise at long range, faster at close range (with practice) and much better in low light.
charles said:
Mount a Leupold one it. A variable but not too much power. You will not regret. Never needed an iron sight in 50 years and I've shot a few deer at less than 10 yards.

A quality scope mounted correctly is all you need.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
If you do get irons fitted ot fit them yourself then don't forget to practice with them and sight them in or your wasting your time. I fitted sporting/hunting aperture rear sights to a couple of my rilfes witht eh intent of taking deer using the aperture sights. Howeve it never happened but I have not given up on the idea.................................... YET!

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Brithunter said:
If you do get irons fitted ot fit them yourself then don't forget to practice with them and sight them in or your wasting your time. I fitted sporting/hunting aperture rear sights to a couple of my rilfes witht eh intent of taking deer using the aperture sights. Howeve it never happened but I have not given up on the idea.................................... YET!

Good to see you posting again Brithunter. Hope things are much better for you than they were during your absence. I do think about you and watch for your post so I can know if your alright.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts