Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 14 inch 30-30 factory barrel with no throat and I am having a gunsmith add a throat to the barrel. The barrel has the neck chambered roughly 3/16 inch longer than the case and that is where the bore and rifling starts, so the bullet is unsupported. No throat. My question is, buy adding a throat, if I use 125-130 gr bullets, I can not seat them far enough out to reach the point where the throat begins. Will the throat still align the bullets or will I have to use long heavy bullets that reach into the throat? The 150 gr corelock would work but I would prefer a pointed bullet , if there are any recommendations. This barrel will be used mainly for deer so if I can go from 4-6 inch groups to 2-3, I would be happly. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think that you'll need to check with your gunsmith to find out how much throat is going to be added.
Lots of bbls shoot better with the bullets seated some distance from the lands. Try different seating depths, the gun will tell you what it wants. Bullets touching the lands, for me, is just a starting point. That way I only have one direction to go.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Each barrel is it's own entity. You may have 2 "identical" barrels, that will show a strong preference for different seating depths. I would start by taking a "dummy" cartridge down to your gunsmith with the bullet you want to shoot, seated to the depth you want it. Then tell him, "Here, make it chamber this". And walk away. When you get the barrel back, try it first ~ .010 off the lands and just see what it does. Then maybe try .020 off the lands. I personally hesitate to seat hunting bullets "on" the lands, especially in a break action firearm, just in case the worst scenario happens, and I need a fast follow up shot, with a "dirty" barrel, and I'm trying to move or turn at an awkward angle at the same time. So I'm not fighting snapping the action closed hard enough to get a full closure. Not as big a deal on a bolt action, as you will get the camming effect of the bolt that can overcome some minor resistance.

Some bullets like a lot of freebore, like the Barnes series of bullets for example. Worst case is you may have to look at another bullet profile to cover the freebore if needed.

Just for what it's worth, my T/C 30-30 bbl has a TON of freebore in it (came from the factory that way), but I can still seat the Sierra 125's out far enough to hit a "sweet spot" for accuracy. I seat them to 2.720" and from a rock solid rest and my target fore end, I can routinely get 5 shots under 1" at 100 yards.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Adding a proper throat in addition to the overly long chamber may do exactly as you suspect; not allow you to seat the lighter bullets out enough to make use of your newly cut throat. I can't say that it will one way or the other but you can avoid this potential problem by rechambering to a .308 Bellm. It is long enough to completely cut out your current faulty chamber. Read all about it here...

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=71&

1 - 4 of 4 Posts