Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the big JDJ calibers are great, but I want something in a 10" barrel length for deer, caribou, black bear, and possibly moose? I do have a .300 Whisper, but wondering if there is anything better? Thanks for your help! Dennis e-mail at [email protected] :grin:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Advise on a chambering for a 10" T/C c

In a 10" barrel a 44 Mag will handle those critters.
Greg

·
Registered
19 Posts

IMHO, a .338 Woodswalker is one of the best choices in a 10" barrel but I"m not so sure about using it on larger game like moose only because my experience is on deer. I see no reason why it wouldn't be fine for black bear, hogs and likely caribou. It would certainly work better than a .44 at any range. The 210 Nosler partition has 1500 FPE at 100 yds. The 225 Hornady Spire point will generate just over 1900 FPE at the muzzle.

Plus there's the 200 Hornady FP for excellent performance on deer-sized game.

Phil

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

Wait aminute,
recommending a 10" pistol with a 1900 FPS 225 grain bullet for moose?

Aren't you the same guys that tell folks that 358 Winchester that shoots a 250 bullet at 2400 FPS is marginal for elk?, or the 180 grain bullet at 2700 FPS should not be used on elk because the bullet is too light?

Ok, my rant is over.

There is nothing I can say to anyone who would want to use a 10 barrel on moose.

PaulS

·
Registered
19 Posts

Paul, if you're talking about my post - I didn't recommend the .338 Woodswalker for moose. But here's what JD Jones said about the Woodswalker - "Ballistically I wanted a bullet of large enough cross section. proven expansion and penetration capabilities to be an excellent killer of medium game such as deer, boar and black bear with the capabililty of handling bigger game such as elk or moose if the occasion arose - provided the right ammunition was used and a reasonable shot presented itself."

Compared to JD, I don't have nearly enough experience to question his thoughts.

About your other "rants" :) - I would not hestitate to use a .358 Winchester with a 250 bullet at 2400fps for elk. The 180 grain bullet may be too lightly constructed though.

Phil

·
Registered
159 Posts
10" barrel

why not a 445. should do the job as good as any in a 10" and you can shoot 44 mag in the same barrel.
I would think PJ or others could fill you in on the joys of the Supermag

Tom

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

Phil,
I wasn't really targeting your post and if there was any offense I apologize. I was really posting about what I see as the insanity of using ANY handgun with a 10" bbl on a 1 to 3000 lb. animal that can be extremely dangerous. The Woodstalker may be a fine round BUT I doubt that the average hunter could choose a reasonable distance or shot if it ran up and bit them in the - ranting again aren't I? sorry.

I firmly believe that the animal I hunt has the right to die in a respectful and humane manner. It bothers me - no I get very angry - when I see a deer lying dead after having been maimed by a poor shot or with an ineffective round and let go to die a slow, excruciating death. I miss seeing that kind of respect for the animals who give their life to nourish ours.

Reverend Paul Stephens - minister and hunter

·
Registered
213 Posts

:-D Paul - I was thinking along your ideas as well, until I remembered one barrel I own in 10". The .357 Herret would work for any of the above mentioned North American game. You made mantion to my biggest grip - shooting a handgun is NOT like shooting a rifle. Knowing your gun and your (your meaning plural) own shooting skill limitations is more important that picking a caliber. Sure I can cut holes all day long on paper at 200 yards, but I've pasted up shots at game at 150 yards because I just didn't feel comfortable with the situation. Good luck in your search, and just how well does that .300 Whisper shoot?

·
Registered
500 Posts

I'd go with the .445 SuperMag load it with 300gr cast and kill anything that you hunt :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts