Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently moved to Whidbey Island, and the place is literally CRAWLING with rabbits. It would be an ideal place to hunt them with my .17 HMR once the season opens, but using any kind of rifle, centerfire or rimfire, is against the law. However, it doesn't say anything about airguns in the regs anywhere, at least not that I can find. Is it legal to hunt small game in Washington with an air rifle? I was thinking about purchasing one of the Crosman Quest break barrels - are these good guns for the price?
Thanks,
Loki

·
Super Moderator
51,060 Posts
On page 16 of the 2005 Big Game Hunting seasons and rules pamphlet under Prohibited firearms/hunting methods, it is illegal to:

c. Hunt game birds or game animals with anything other than a firearm, a bow and arrow, or by falconry....

An airgun is not considered a firearm, as far as I know... :cry: A call to your local WDF&W office would be prudent....

As far as the crosman, I've got a 377 break barrel, it's killed a possum or 2, just takes good shot placement as with any shot on game, behind the ear for those that were unlucky! :grin:

Tim

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you figure it out, let me know. I was over scouting for elk a year ago by Yakima and the place was literally overrun with rabbits there, too. I counted 12 just driving down a trail in less than 10 minutes. That was about the rate of sightings of them for the whole weekend, too. That's got to be a coyote buffet over there. If you need help thinning them out over on Whidbey, I could help with that, too. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As soon as I find out, I will let you guys know. I e-mailed WDFW to find out, and I got an automated response about how busy they are right now. If I have not heard back from them by the middle of the week, I will give them a call and find out.
Loki

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
loki,

There is an old saying that applies to this situation. "When in doubt, call and find out."[/color] In California is legal to take small game up to Turkeys with air guns(.20 caliber or larger). Lawdog
:D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, so I called the WDFW today to get the answer to the question. The answer is...no, it is NOT legal to hunt small game in Washington state with an air rifle. According to the woman I spoke to, "They don't have enough power to kill - they just wound them." While this seems like a bunch of hooey to me, you gotta obey the law. So, I guess I won't be bunny hunting with anything but a shotgun this year.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news guys,
Loki

·
Super Moderator
51,060 Posts
Little does she know that some airguns produce rimfire energy!!!! Oh well, nice try anyway!!!

Tim

·
Registered
138 Posts
What about farmers, are they allowed by law to kill or let somebody else kill pests with an airgun in their property?

·
Super Moderator
51,060 Posts
If the pests aren't game animals...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts