Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldn't help but notice there were but a few posts re: the AK-47 and those were quite old. Just thought there wasn't enough interest to justify a thread.

If this generates a few responses I will post my question in reference to my C39V2.

Thanks in advance to any responders.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I'm not super knowledgeable about ak's but my son is a walking encyclopedia. We bumbled across an old MAK90 that was all parts in a paper bag at LGS. I quickly became a fan! A few parts swapped and it's a real good shooter.

If you have questions I'll see what I can do to help

·
2,715 Posts
Roland - Ask away. This site is pretty slow these days, but there are a lot of lurkers, and someone will chime in. I have owned a couple AK's, but am not overly knowledgeable about them.

Larry

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@larry and Dezynco & Bigeasy
Thanks for the invitations,
I was beginning to think I was the only one that liked the AK.
The inherent ruggedness and simplicity is enough to admire
the design.
I finally figured out what was wrong with my latest C39V2. It seems the windage drum was drilled and tapped off center for the sight post plus the sight post was a loose fit. A new drum and sight post (compliments of Century Arms) cured the issue. When zeroing the iron sights, it was hitting about 5 MOA left of point of aim at 100yds. That was after moving the windage drum as far as it would go left.
The new drum has the sight post centered and it is now holding the POI on the money. A 10 shot group at 100yds was about 4". My old eyes couldn't even see the triangle I drew with a Sharpie, I just tried aiming at the center of the paper. That was using old surplus steel cased ammo.
Next time I will take some of my hand loads, my chrono and a rest. Will report back.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
@larry and Dezynco & Bigeasy
The new drum has the sight post centered and it is now holding the POI on the money. A 10 shot group at 100yds was about 4". My old eyes couldn't even see the triangle I drew with a Sharpie, I just tried aiming at the center of the paper. That was using old surplus steel cased ammo.
4" at 100 with irons and surplus ammo is pretty good. Sounds like you might have a real shooter, be sure and report back with your results using handloads.

·
2,715 Posts
Yea, some of these MILSURP's need a little fidgeting to get right. Part of the "fun" is working on them. 4 inches at 100 yards with an open sight AK and cheap ammo is not bad at all. My Romanian AK with an optic attached would have been hard pressed to do better.

Larry

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yea, some of these MILSURP's need a little fidgeting to get right. Part of the "fun" is working on them. 4 inches at 100 yards with an open sight AK and cheap ammo is not bad at all. My Romanian AK with an optic attached would have been hard pressed to do better.

Larry
The two I have are both brand new C39V2's. They are made in the USA, milled receivers, and very nice walnut furniture.
All the parts are milspec, but, much better machining and finish. In spite of a decent finish on the furniture, I removed it down to raw wood and applied my own oil finish.
What was good is now great.
I forgot to mention the scope mount on the side of the receiver is NOT milspec. A scope mount for a regular ol' AK will not fit. At the time, I had to go with a 2 piece RS Regulate mount. I put a nice Vortex scope on my first one (the mount and scope cost more than the rifle!), but, will just have the iron sights on this one.
I know these couldn't compete with my Ruger Precision 6.5 Creedmore, but, I just like the way they look and admire the ingenuity that went into them. I have had only one occasion that it didn't go "bang" and that was a faulty round.
I did have to put butt pads on both of them. Without the pads it feels like a broomstick poking my shoulder and it will leave a bruise!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I love the refinished furniture!
I've been thinking about getting a second AK for a backup. I never really had a burning desire for an AK, but wouldn't mind having one. I'm a fan of th AR15. However, once I stumbled upon this old Norinco, I got hooked. It only took a few weeks to accumulate 1500 rounds of ammo. Now I need a second AK for shtf. Looked at PSA AK103 builders' package with no furniture or fire control. Just waiting for my money tree.....

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love the refinished furniture!
I've been thinking about getting a second AK for a backup. I never really had a burning desire for an AK, but wouldn't mind having one. I'm a fan of th AR15. However, once I stumbled upon this old Norinco, I got hooked. It only took a few weeks to accumulate 1500 rounds of ammo. Now I need a second AK for shtf. Looked at PSA AK103 builders' package with no furniture or fire control. Just waiting for my money tree.....
Dezynco,
Thanks for the compliment and again for the info.....the info on PSA. I was not familiar with that firm until you mentioned it. They have some pretty good prices and a warranty that would be hard to beat! However, I didn't see anything on the "builders' package" you mentioned. Would you mind posting a link, please?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
4" at 100 with irons and surplus ammo is pretty good. Sounds like you might have a real shooter, be sure and report back with your results using handloads.
@JustaShooter
It's been a while, sorry. I have not been able to be able to make my hand loads or get to the range. I loaned my 7.62x39 dies to a friend and it seems he has moved and took my dies with him...real good friend! No forwarding address or phone, so, I am SOL. While waiting to hear about my dies, I decided the refinish job I did was still too light. I did it again and added some ebony oil base stain to the tung oil. At a distance or dim light it looks almost black, but, in bright light that beautiful walnut grain stands out. I will post pics very soon.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@JustaShooter
It's been a while, sorry. I have not been able to be able to make my hand loads or get to the range. I loaned my 7.62x39 dies to a friend and it seems he has moved and took my dies with him...real good friend! No forwarding address or phone, so, I am SOL. While waiting to hear about my dies, I decided the refinish job I did was still too light. I did it again and added some ebony oil base stain to the tung oil. At a distance or dim light it looks almost black, but, in bright light that beautiful walnut grain stands out. I will post pics very soon.
Okay, finally got some pics. It has been difficult due to having my wife's 9 yr old grandson here. His "anti-2nd" father has taught him to be terrified at the mere sight of any weapon....I'm talking running, screaming, bouncing off walls and furniture like a pinball! And he has no volume control. The knob must have broken off while set on maximum.
Anyway...the pics:
Bumper Automotive exterior Tints and shades Auto part Leather
Wood Tints and shades Automotive exterior Sleeve Human leg
Purple Air gun Trigger Luggage and bags Gun barrel
Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Tints and shades Quill
Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Tints and shades Quill
Wood Gun accessory Tints and shades Metal Bumper

(I don't know how to cut a duplicate out...help?)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Nice rifle! I think that's the first AK with a milled receiver I've seen, and I'll bet that's one reason it shoots well. Hoping for some updated target pictured when you can get a load worked up for it!

Truly a shame about your grandson, it doesn't seem like there's much chance you'll be able to mitigate the indoctrination from his father.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice rifle! I think that's the first AK with a milled receiver I've seen, and I'll bet that's one reason it shoots well. Hoping for some updated target pictured when you can get a load worked up for it!

Truly a shame about your grandson, it doesn't seem like there's much chance you'll be able to mitigate the indoctrination from his father.
You are right about that, shooter! I see no hope for any change, in fact I only expect it to get worse!

Thank you for the compliments on the rifle. It is Century Arms version, all made in the U.S.A.! It's called the Centurion C39V2. It is no Browning or Weatherby, but, it does have walnut furniture, albeit not the best grade.

I guess you didn't see my post about my 7.62 x 39 die set leaving town. It will be a while before I'll be loading my own.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I guess you didn't see my post about my 7.62 x 39 die set leaving town. It will be a while before I'll be loading my own.
I did, but figured you wouldn't wait too long to replace the dies. In any case, I hope you have a great time with it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts