Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AK-47 vs SKS - What would you choose and why?

I'm just curious about what you all think of these two rifles. They're both chambered in the same round so how would you make your decision and what would you base it on.

I used to have an AK years ago and shot it right next to a SKS and the SKS was more accurate with softer recoil, but had a limited magazine compared to my ak with a drum.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
28,628 Posts
SKS , because i can have 2 for the price of an AK47 , no mag to loose , more accurate !

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Depends on what you want to use it for. Let's face it, the AK is a high capacity machine gun with a semi auto feature. The SKS is a 10 round capacity semi auto general issue rifle. No collection is complete unless you own both.

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
Old said:
No collection is complete unless you own both.
AMEN BROTHER!

But to answer the question, I would take the ak over the sks if I had to choose, detachable high cap mags or a drum, many military furniture options, folding stocks and I like the looks better.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
This is my opinion having owned both. I prefer the SKS over the AK 47. Since I am not in the military any more and dont hunt human targets, I dont need the hi capacity the AK has. I choose the SKS. 10 rounds is plenty of ammo to load for hunting, I usually only load 5 and have never needed more than 1 round to take a deer. My Chineese SKS will shoot very well at 100 yds using Winchester soft point ammo. The Ak didnt shoot any load very well, I tried FMJ mil ammo and Commercial softpoint ammo and the AK only shot 3 to 4 inch groups. My SKS will regularly shoot inside of 2 inches at 100 yds with open sights using the Win soft point ammo. I did remove the bayonet and bayonet lug (cut it off even with barrel) and I also removed the cleaning rod. So the answer to your question is the SKS. ;D

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I am not in the military any more and dont hunt human targets, I dont need the hi capacity the AK has. I choose the SKS. 10 rounds is plenty of ammo to load for hunting,
If and when the bottom falls out of things like many forsee, you'll quickly change your mind.

Teddy, I hope you have an AR or 2 also for the AK and SKS to join.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
sks for sure.
When you buy an sks, you get the real deal, as issued, as designed. Keep it original - no rambo modifications.
The AK won't be original, as issued. The receiver is modified and newly made, by? and to what standards? Several internal parts likewise.
Assuming that's done right, and everything functions well, as semi-auto AKs generally do, the AK's cost is higher, the handling is not as good, the mags are heavy and get in the way and can be lost, they rattle like crazy, the safety is clumsy, and the accuracy is usually not as good.
The AK has its place - if I had extra money I'd buy one (but keep the SKS!), I'll grant you in some scenarios the extra ammo capacity would be nice, and a friend of mine even took an AK turkey hunting. Everybody laughed at him till he got his turkey - with a shot thru the neck, no less.
But I'm an SKS fan. Get an SKS and use the saved $ for ammo to practice with. And learn to use the stripper clips.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
rio said:
the mags are heavy and get in the way and can be lost learn to use the stripper clips.
I find it odd that anyone would have a hard time keeping track of loaded 7#magazines but could keep track of those little strippers. :D :D :D

the handling is not as good,
I must disagree here. The SKS is built for folks of small stature with their short buttstocks and limited drop at the comb which doesn't serve full sized Americans well.

·
Registered
28,628 Posts
if you loose a stripper clip you can still load the weapon , if you loose a 7 mag you have a single shot and a not very good one ! LOL
in winter the SKS fits well and a short stock is not that hard to deal with in warm weather ! if a woman is to use it the the short stock may be the best anyway . besides a slip on pad is cheap ! LOL

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I could probably find an example or two of both around here if I looked--------- ::) If I had to choose between the two platforms, I'd for sure go with the AK. Having more ammo than you need in the gun has never been a handicap for me. The AK/SKS rifles I own are not "AR" accurate, but both have decent combat accuracy, with the edge going to the AK. The AK is still a first line battle rifle in most of the world, so parts and ammo will always be available. SKS parts are, well, not so available. The 7.62x39 is a moderately powered round suitable for hunting most anything in this part of the world, and is used frequently for that purpose. If, God Forbid, I had use of a rifle to defend my family, life, or country, the AK wins again over the SKS. It's detachable magazine, near total reliability, and parts availability makes it a clear winner. If for any reason I couldn't own an AK, then I'd make do just fine with the SKS. Thank God it hasn't come to that yet.
Savage

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
"If for any reason I couldn't own an AK, then I'd make do just fine with the SKS. "
And vice-versa. They're both good.
And re: handling, that's an individual preference, but the AK sure seems awkward to me, doesn't come up the the shoulder as fast as an SKS. And about the stock being short, didn't Jeff Cooper say a shorter stock is better than one thats too long? I'm tall, and the short stock is good for me, and its true, the slip-on pad is easy to put on.
And the strippers, yeah you don't need 'em to load the rifle, but get used to 'em, they're fast. I dare say - if an ak started with one loaded 30 rd. mag and 70 extra loose rds, and i had 100 rds. on strippers, I could fire my 100 rds far faster than the guy w/ the AK could.
AND... The big mags do get in the way. If somebodys shooting at me and i need to hug Gods good earth while shooting back, I want to be as close to it as possible! Why, I'd have to dig a hole for that mag to fit into.
Reliability - I've shot MANY SKS rifles. I can honestly say I've had no trouble with any of them (even one that was TOTALLY mis-matched) as long as they were original configuration, no 20-rd. chinese or extended aftermarket mags, etc.)

( But I'd trade both the AK and the SKS for a nice #5 British .303 Jungle Carbine anyday - I'm old fashioned I guess.)

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
"But I'd trade both the AK and the SKS for a nice #5 British .303 Jungle Carbine anyday"

Me too!

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
When the bottom falls out, I'd rather have a .22, a single shot 20 gauge, or a Marlin .30-30. They will feed me and protect my family. They don't draw unwanted attention either.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
NONYA said:
don't need a special permit to own one,
I'm unaware of the need for any "special permit" for a legally configured AK or SKS either way. At least not in the non-communist states.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I wonder what the proper designation is for an "untrue" AK47 or AK74 is then.

Close quarters defensive situation you're hard pressed to tell if it's full or semi.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Definately SKS.Longer sight radius, more accurate, in my experience, chargers allow you to carry more rounds as the mags are heavier and bulkier. 100 rounds clipped are lighter and smaller bundle than 100 in magazines.Having a bayonet attached and always there CAN be useful. Cover is a wonderful thing,you can get closer to mother earth without bipoding on the magazine. Both are durable, reliable , proven designs, but hit probability seems better with the SKS.With its 20 inch barrel, M-43 class rounds are more powerful( slightly) in the SKS.Most mil spec stuff chronos at about 2300 fps from a 16 inch AK and the same stuff exits my Type 56 at 2550 fps. More is better.The safety is certainy easier to operate on the SKS as it requires alot less hand movement.When carring it the SKS is also quieter than an AK.Pick them up ( with a mag in the AK) and give 'em a shake. Muzzle blast is ALITTLE less with the SKS too, Both are great rifles and you couldn't go far wrong with either.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts