Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope everyone's enjoying their summer, here's a second question for you.

I have a 7mm and my Alaska guide tells me that I can use it on moose with 175 gr Trophy bonded Bear Claw ammo. Anyobody that has an opinion on this please give it. I will also be hunting Sheep and I know it would be fine there.

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
rstickle said:
Hope everyone's enjoying their summer, here's a second question for you.

I have a 7mm and my Alaska guide tells me that I can use it on moose with 175 gr Trophy bonded Bear Claw ammo. Anyobody that has an opinion on this please give it. I will also be hunting Sheep and I know it would be fine there.
Is it a 7mm MAG or 7mmX57? If it is the 7mm Mag, I would say go for it, as long as you stick to the heavier bullets. JMHO. :D

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Bolt Action Rifles

rstickle,

Not a problem the 175 gr Trophy bonded bear claw round should do just fine. Been a many brought down with less.......Joe.............

·
Registered
58 Posts
YES It will work fine , moose take a little while to die after being hit in the vitals ,whether you shoot them with a 308 or 375 H&H.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I think the 7mm Rem.Mag. can be a good moose caliber depending on the bullet used. Getting the animal down is of prime importance because of the difficulty you can have in quartering it and getting the meat back out. You don't want that animal to wander far after being hit. I've seen several that were hit with .300Win. Mags. and Spitzers make it back into the bush where they were lost. If you've only a short time before dark as is often the case you may not be able to retrieve it. I usually use a round nose or semi-spitzer bullet on moose. I don't really prefer the bullet to pass on through, but to stay in the boiler room. Just one mans opinion. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

·
Registered
341 Posts
I lived in Alaska for several years and I've seen several moose taken with 7 mag a few with 308 and couple with 375 h & h and they all looked dead to me. IMHO if they have taken them for years with lesser calibers then if we waite on our shot all things will work out but if rushed or "buck fever" set's in well watch out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts