Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone ever used this in 45 colt. i found enough data in the lyman cast bullet manual to get me started but was just looking looking for someone with first hand experience.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
AL 7

Never used AL 7 but I have used AL 8 in a 41 magnum and really liked it a lot and wish it was still available. Given that experience I'd definately try AL 7 if I had good load data. You might try to locate an old version of Propellant Profiles by Wolde Publsihing - they might have some data and comentary. I'll see if there is anything in the edition I have.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
al-7

JIMhubbard years ago I used al-7 for some 357 loads I was using and it gave me the vel. with a little less powder that was avail back then. The Sierra manual I am looking at dated 1971 shows 5 loads with al-7 with 185 jhp going anywhere from 950fps to 1150fps if you need them let me know. I dont have any al-7 left but I see on some of my notes I have written that it was a little dirty in firing, cant recall but it did seem to leave the weapon a little dirty. have fun. :D

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
As a kid it was the standard for heavy duck loads in the 12 and 16 gauage in my little cowtown. I also loaded it a lot in the .357. I liked it because it was cleaner then 2400 which left a lot of unburned grains.

I followed the lead of the Ultra hunter/NRA member in town.

Siskiyou

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
hubbard,

The Speer #9 manual shows loads for AL-7 for handguns other than the Ruger or the T/C Contender. The loads appear to be almost identical to those listed for HS-6. Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook also lists a couple of loads for it. Pet Loads and Powder Profiles list nothing about AL-7 and the 45 Long Colt. Good-luck…

Dand,

I recently purchased a 6-pound keg of AL-8 from Bartlett Surplus Powders. I got it for a bit over $8.00/pound including shipping. (That was a full 6-keg order though) I am using it in my 44 Magnum with the RCBS 44-250-K cast bullet with very good results. Dang good powder.

BCB

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
al-7

hubbard the speer #8 shows loads for the 45 colt as follows 200 gr speer semi-wadcutter 12.0 gr. 959 fps/ 13.5 gr. 1098 The 250 gr. cast gas check 11.0 gr. 900 fps/ 12.0 gr. 988fps. these are all old loads out of old manuals the speer # 10 DONT show any al-7 for the 45 colt and dand has already said it wasnt in the #9 hope the couple loads will help you to use the al-7 you have as I havent seen any in a long while. :D JIM

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'd like to thank everyone who took time to respond to my post. i ran upon this powder at a gunshow a while back. it's packed in the old style square tins which still look new. the powder looks good and still smells like any other new powder. the vendor had 4 lbs. of it and some sierra sillouette bullets he didn't want to take back home with him so we made a deal. i'm shooting a .357 and 45 colt with cast bullets and i'm looking forward to working up some new loads. thanks again for the info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts