Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I have discovered, from where I don't remember, but its from at least a few sources, the new T3s are all Long Action. As such, for short action cartridges, there is some sort of device that essentially causes the short action cartridge to fit in the magazine. Many people have said that this was similar to the Savage design.

I'll have to take a look at it, but I can tell you right now that, although I LOVE Tikkas, I am not excited about this design one bit. I would get a long action T3, but not a short action one.

Anyone know anything about the previous, yet similar, Savage design? How did it work? Were there any problems? I would imagine so since Savage (to the best of my knowledge) doesn't incorporate this design anymore.

Zachary

·
Registered
188 Posts
Zach,

I'm with you on this, as stated on a previous post theirs a spacer or block in the mag and some sort of bolt stop to keep if from coming back all the way if you have say a 308 or 7-08. The bolt will only come back so far and stop. The only upside I would see to this design if you wanted to rebarrel your rifle from a 270 to a 30-06 then you would only have to replace the mag and bolt stop I guess along with barrel or visa versa instead of buying whole new rifle, but this is awful thin ice here.

Makes you stop and think before you rush out and spend 509.00 for the rifle.

Buck

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dbuck,

Yea, I agree.

Now, if I were buying a long action cartridge, then it would be the T3 hands down (assuming that when I actually see it and hold it in my hands that it feels good to me.)

On the other hand, if it's a short action, then, Tikka or not, I won't get the T3 or any other SA with that stop in the magazine, etc. that you were talking about.

The original Tikkas, the Whitetail Hunter series, is just AWESOME. Yes, I have the Laminated Stainless and don't particularly care for the plastic shroud, etc., but BOY DO THEY SHOOT, and their quality is OUTSTANDING.

I went ahead and ordered a Tikka Whitetail Hunter Stainless Synthetic in .243. I've always had a bit of curiousity about this round in general, and want to continue buying Tikkas in specific - especially since I don't know for sure if Tikka will be continuing the Whitetail Hunter line. I bought it for $549 including shipping - there was only 1 left.

Interestingly, I have also been told that Beretta (owner of Sako and Tikka) will be selling directly to dealers and no longer wholesalers. As such, it appears that the cost of Tikkas may go up.

In the meantime, I can't wait to get my hands on my new Tikka Stainless Synthetic in .243! :-D :) :-D :) :-D :) :-D

Zachary

·
Registered
32 Posts
The dealer I bought my .243 Tikka synthetic from has this to say on his website "All T-3's will be long action, pretty cool, how about a .223 in long action? I guess Tikka didn't learn from Savage." Apparently, the idea didn't work for Savage. Savage T should know the details.

There is a close-up picture in the Feb. issue of the American Hunter that shows three different T-3 "bolt stops" with three different types of ammo. Also says they will come with a "stepped magazine." Glad my next Tikka will be a .270

1 - 4 of 4 Posts