Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over on the Contender forum they repeated warn against shooting 357 mag in 357 maxi and 45 colt in 454 Casul chambers, because of ringed chambers.

So I got alot of 45 colt to shoot in my 454 Casul reamed BC carbine. Oh, so far shooting only 45 colt lead bullets un-GC in this gun because it likes 454 not 452.

Maxi is only maxi with jacketed until I get paper patched working.

Anyone comment on this please. Just asking...

Be well all...

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
That's just silly.......if they ringed the chambers they were doing something else wrong.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
I haven't read the posts, but a concern often mentioned is a ring of carbon buildup in front of the shorter case that can interfere with the chambering of the longer maxi round. Not a physical damage, just a cleaning issue.

·
Registered
480 Posts
+1 I have had that problem when shooting a lot of lead cast 38 sp in my 357 and then could not chamber 357 mags. Ten minutes with bore cleaner and a bronze brush and you are good to go. It is simply inconvenient at the moment, not dangerous(unless you try to force the cartridge into the chamber anyway).

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
I have to wonder if the nomenclature is getting mixed up on their forum?
A fouling ring at the mouth of a shorter case is NOT chamber ringing. A properly maintained arm will not have this issue.
I have followed actual chamber ringing for some years and it can be accomplished with the proper case for the arm, as well as shorter cases, by using an over powder wad (to hold a small amount of fast burning powder back to the primer), or shooting straight up. This has been repeated and documented (see, The Modern Schuetzen Rifle by Schwartz and Dell, among other articles).
The ring, an indenting around the chamber, right at the base of the bullet will be pounded in, and may not be noticed until extraction becomes difficult. It is the chamber version of a barrel bulge.
There is often no fix without setting a barrel back, relining or , at least, lining the chamber; all heavy in precision machining and cost. Sometimes an oversize cartridge rechambering can salvage the barrel.
As you can see, there is cause for concern, but with what I understand, there is no reason using 38s in a 357, etc. will do this UNLESS they used over powder wads or did a bunch of sky shots.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.