Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,

I am ready to get a 223 or 243 as soon as i get back in port, however my question is, for accuracy does it matter if you start with a ultra or just a plain heavy barrel? I am thinking I am thinking of getting a choate stock for it eventually so a pretty stock would not be a factor for this one! the next one however, I would keep a regular stock on. has anyone seen the price for the fluted ultra varmit yet? and one last question this time has anyone painted the plastic stocks and forearms?

thanks

Carl

·
Super Moderator
50,981 Posts
The ultras are not only bull barrels, but they're 24", too. Lots of shooters here get great accuracy out of the standard barrels, but I would shy away from the superlights, they have a checkered reputation, some love em, others ....er.....don't!! Haven't seen the price on the fluted ultra yet. Here's good link for painting your rifle...

http://www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htm#Paint

Tim

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would say it would depend upon what you are going to use it for. If you want to just shoot varimits and targets then the .223 is a good choice. Easy to reload, uses a lot less powder and bullets are less too. For an all- round cartridge, it is hard to go wrong with the .243. The .243 is a good first rifle to handle most things till the dollars allow for a second Handi. :lol:

I would go with a HB in either case. If you wanted to paint the stock, I am sure that you could put the laminate one in the Classified section and have a easy time selling it and getting what you want. I just tried to order a basic .223 hb and could not get one, so I switched to the Ultra and had it in a week. The extra 2 inches on the barrel will give you a little boost in velocity that I wanted cause I do reload. Good luck.

Now if they would only offer something in the WSM or WSSM :lol:

:D mark

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello all,

I have checked varmit als in past that was where I got the courage from to trick out my marlin 22 mag, looks so good I am planning on doing it to any "varmit" guns I get. I am leaning towards the 223 for all of the reasons listed and the fact that I already have several other rifles in larger calibers. I guess it is just down to what is availible at wally world or the sportsmans wherehouse when I get home. the ultra sounds good however!! ah this could get crazy, well I can always claim that the extra barrels and receviers are for the kids when they get older

·
Registered
922 Posts
I'd just go with the regular 223 heavy barrel if you're gonna put the choate stock on it later. The only benefit of the ultra is the 2 extra inches of barrel. My 223 is the regular heavy barrel and it shoots great. I just got done doing a trigger job on it and the trigger is sooo smooth now. It went from around 5 lbs. to about 1.5 lbs. And i finally "bedded" the scope rail as quick does on his. I haven't got to shoot it yet but i should be able to tell if there has been any improvement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts