Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my hands on a older TC Contender it has a Aluminum Alloy frame I would like to pick up some more barrels for this gun does anyone know where I can find any

Thank For The Help

·
Administrator
26,045 Posts
Not aluminum alloy, I think it was called armor alloy or some such. Just a regular steel barrel with some kinda chrome plating on the outside.

·
23,845 Posts
Yep, armaloy coating popular for a short time in the early 80s.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Yep, Armor Alloy, nice looking finish, but alterations are required to fit either blue or stainless barrels. Not a hard job to do however.
Walt

·
Registered
897 Posts
I picked up an AA barrel in 35 Rem that had been reamed to accept blue and stainless pins and it is as accurate as any in the stable.
I was apprehensive but have been pleasantly surprised with the conversion.
I'd imagine the frames could receive the same treatment.
Jimmy

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
It is my understanding that the AA frames and barrels has a larger barrel mounting pin therefore the regular contender barrels will not fit unless hole is in larged. In my many years of dealing with contenders and barrels I never saw but one AA frame and barrel set up.

Deaconllb

·
Registered
897 Posts
No disrespect to a venerable contributor... but ...
As for the pins, they are smaller, since AA plating is a build-up the hole is tighter in the frame and barrel lug
They need to be 'opened up', thus having plating removed, to use blue or stainless components or counterparts
That is my belief
I have but one barrel that is 'opened up'.
All my other contender stuff is blue or stainless and all interchangeable,
someone with an AA pin, pleases confirm or negate

https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/36-thompson-center-handguns-sponsored-ed-s-tcs/106512-armor-alloy-contender.html

·
Registered
683 Posts
No disrespect to a venerable contributor... but ...
As for the pins, they are smaller, since AA plating is a build-up the hole is tighter in the frame and barrel lug
They need to be 'opened up', thus having plating removed, to use blue or stainless components or counterparts
That is my belief
I have but one barrel that is 'opened up'.
All my other contender stuff is blue or stainless and all interchangeable,
someone with an AA pin, pleases confirm or negate

https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/36-thompson-center-handguns-sponsored-ed-s-tcs/106512-armor-alloy-contender.html

You have it right. The holes on the AA frame and barrel have to be opened up to fit the standard pin size to go on a blued or stainless frame or barrel.

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
I knew the problem was the pins but my mistake. I thought the pins were larger but I can see where the plating would cause the hole to be smaller.

Deaconllb

1 - 9 of 9 Posts