Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out today and bought a set of .222 rem dies + brass , already have .22 cal bullets and powder. the only problem is i don,t own a .222 rem. i guess i,ll have to buy a new gun now --- not the first time i have done this // do i need professional help or what :shock:

· Premium Member
10,817 Posts
It's easier to get the reloading stuff first. :-D :-D :D

· Registered
979 Posts
Yeah, there's nothing worse than buying a new gun, then having to scramble around gathering up reloading supplies for it. So buying dies for a caliber you don't even own yet sounds completely sane to me.

What's really bad is when you're at a gun store looking at a rifle, and the first thing you think of is "Hmmmm......do I have dies for this caliber?"

· Registered
1,402 Posts
The best is when you go to a gun show or garage sale and find a set of dies for an "off the beaten path" caliber (.17 Mach IV, Form dies for any of the wildcats, etc..) at a really good deal. You buy them, you buy the parent brass, make the new brass and think "Man I really saved a lot of money on these dies (you bought them at half the cost)" Then you spend 5-6 times the original cost of the dies to buy a gun that shoots that caliber, all because you saved 50.00 on a set of dies.

To me it's like finding a good deal on a set of racing heads, or an intake, and going out and buying a new hotrod just to have something to put the parts on.

Reloading is economical.................................yeah right, my butt :lol:

· Registered
729 Posts
I haven't bought reloading dies for a caliber I don't have, but more than once I bought multi-case quantities of ammo in calibers I don't have a firearm for.

· Registered
191 Posts
:-D No, you are like me, entirely rational. I have ten sets of dies for rifle and pistol calibers that I have no firearm to shoot in. I do this because I think sooner or later a good deal may fall into my arms...Of course I have had the dies for 10 years and no good deal yet..ho ho ho

· Registered
531 Posts
stimpylu32 your fine.

I just purchased my H&R in 223 for a PD shoot.

I bought the:
Brass
Bullets
Primers
Powder
Scope rings
Scope
Dies
Quick change convertion(Dillion 550)

Had 2 different loads loaded up for almost 5 weeks before I broke down and bought the rifle.

So theres nothing wrong with ya :)

Warf

· Premium Member
1,384 Posts
I also have a bad habit of buying reloading accessories that I don't need just because the price is good or I think that maybe in the future I may buy the gun.

I recently picked up a new set of RCBS .308 dies for $10. I own several .30-06's, a .280 and a 7mm-08, so I don't need a .308. But I couldn't pass up the price.

A while back I bought a box of reloading stuff that included .338, .243, .45 Win Mag, and 30 carbine dies (all RCBS) along with 8mm, .25 cal, .223 bullets, and a bunch of other components. I don't own an 8mm, 25 cal or .45 Win mag, so I'm kinda stuck with those items until I can find someone to swap with. I like the idea of the .45 mag, but it never caught on. It might be a nice cartridge in a Handi rifle, though.

I pursuing a possible opportunity on a .338, however. So I may have a use for those dies soon.

EVOC ONE

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.