Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
APP is now producing powder again after their plant explosion.
The powder with the original APP label is available for purchase from the following outfits: bulletsbyscarett.com, lg-outdoors.com and at wholesalehunter.com.
It's also being sold under the Shooters World label @ grafs.com as Shooters World Multi-Purpose Black
(This Black Powder substitute is made in America for Shooters World by American Pioneer Powder).

Shooters World Multi-Purpose Black FFF Sulfurless Powder 1 Pound - Graf & Sons

https://bulletsbyscarlett.com/shop/ols/products/app-american-pioneer-powder-black-powder-substitute

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Hope they upgraded their formula because I threw away the can I tried years ago. It was garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
APP has started making .50 round pellets instead of only the square powder sticks.
That must mean that Hodgdon's patent on round pellets has expired.
It was that patent infringement that led to the original Clean Shot Powder company going bankrupt which led to the new name of American Pioneer Powder.
It's available here: --->>> American Pioneer 50 Caliber Pellets 100 Per Container Md: APP5050P
If anyone tries them out please let us know how they work.

·
23,297 Posts
Hope they upgraded their formula because I threw away the can I tried years ago. It was garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yup me too. Blackthorn is a much better black powder substitute. Only powder i tried worse was that Shockley's garbage.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Well I am going to test the new stuff called Multi Purpose Black 3F. I didn't have any troubles with the Shockeys Gold I bought back in 2016. I finished it off this year and no issues at all and good accuracy.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Tested the Multi Purpose Black 3F yesterday. Went pretty well actually.
Well hardly an intensive test. I got my barrel (209x50 Encore) back from getting two more holes tapped for a 6 hole base, mounted a Konus 1-4x25 30 MM scope on it and put the barrel on the action. I had ordered and received 4 pounds of the MPB from Grafs. I got it sighted in pretty fast but I noticed the scope sits too far back set as far forward as I can get it. A combination of the adjustment knobs being in the wrong place and the eyepiece being pretty long it hit me in the face 4 times. Not hard enough to make me bleed but a bump none the less. So I flinched a few shots. At any rate because of this I kept my charges down to two loads of 80 and 90 grains for testing. The powder puts out plenty of smoke if that is important to you. Fouling is minimal. I normally swab by running a wetted patch (this time with orange windshield washer fluid) turning it over and running it again then running a dry patch between shots. The first patch is dirty but the second is pretty clean. Accuracy and repeatability was very good when I wasn't flinching, I wasted three shots and I only fired 15. Cleanup was a breeze I ran both sides of a wet patch and a dry patch 3 times and the barrel looks spotless. The breech plug remained clear and I did check it at shot 11 and when I was finished. So now I have to find a scope that I can get the eyepiece far enough forward so it doesn't knock my shooting glasses off. I was shooting green ribbed Harvester sabots and 240 gr. Speer Unicor .429 bullets which loaded just right. Got it sighted in 1 inch high at a hundred but that is worthless because I have to change scopes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts