Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
T3 Lite .308

Hunting: Roe Deer (very small, light boned), occasional fox and pig. Range up to 150 meters. Thinking of the Federal Low-Recoil load. It's basically a .30-30. Shouldn't blow away the roe bucks like the standard .308 did but should still take the pigs with a good shot right?

Hunting: Red Deer (bigger than Whitetail, smaller than elk), bigger pigs (boars), fallow deer. Range up to 250 meters. I want to use a bullet that will penetrate deeply ( I like exit holes) and expand well. Big boars up close at night need to drop NOW not later... What to use??? Y'all got ideas???

All must be factory loaded rounds...

Thanks,
NGH

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
I think you will be better served with just a single load. I assume your "blown away" deer had lots of meat damage. Switch to a bullet that doesn't expand so violently, like a Swift A-Frame and use it for all your hunting needs.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The roe buck was taken at about 80 yards with a Barnes bullet (don't know exact type) that was blue coated (Moly?). This was borrowed gun that I knew was a sub-half inch gun. The bullet hit just behind the shoulder. Exited far side with not too bad of a hole but the body cavity was blown open and guts hanging out. Seems like it just exploded. I was just thinking that a slower bullet might not make them pop like a balloon! Anyway, here in Germany, lot's of times you just hunt and whatever walks out that is in season gets shot. Deer overlap with pigs, fox and other. While I might be deer hunting I might just HAVE to take a meat pig or two. Those would be smaller pigs as well. I guess I could go with a single load. That's what I do with my '06 at home. Also, if I talk the family finance manager into a red deer or fallow deer I also have a Steyr .376. It's about like a .375 H&H.

So who loads the Swift in factory fodder? I guess I could always go with NP's but would prefer a more "modern" bullet (even if it doesn't kill them any "deader").

ngh

·
1,112 Posts
no said:
That's what I do with my '06 at home.............So who loads the Swift in factory fodder?
ngh
Remington loads A frames, but not in 308 I don't believe. 30-06 yes. Not sure if that helps though.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I definitely prefer a more controlled expansion bullet. After I lost a pretty nice 6-point in 'Bama one time to a 40 yard shot into his shoulder with a soft point .30-'06. He rolled over completely but after six hours of looking, tracking and searching we never found him. I've never had a Fail Safe blow up on anything. I don't need the Fail Safe here. I need SOME expansion on the little deer here as well as on small hogs. There are just SO many options for good bullets out there that I need to choose from. I have to have some hand carried in from US by a buddy on TDY. Over here .308 is about 50 Euro a box for premium stuff. That's somewhere in the 70$ a box range. I'm counting on my T3 shooting acceptably with a good quality factory round. Even a 1.5" group would be sat for me for right now.

ngh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts