Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we've been talking about different flavors of ammo, I was just wondering if anyone had tried launching paintballs single or in 'grapeshot' successfully (or not) with blackpowder? Is there any future in it?

·
Registered
430 Posts
And now for something completely different

Somehow I might know for fact that they will not make it out of the bore on a .69 smoothbore musket.
Might work out of a mortar and you could give a scaled down version of a "basket of balls" for effect.
Might have to give that a try

·
Registered
182 Posts
Cat Whisperer said:
Since we've been talking about different flavors of ammo, I was just wondering if anyone had tried launching paintballs single or in 'grapeshot' successfully (or not) with blackpowder? Is there any future in it?
I'd think the initial shock would shatter them. You might succeed with some sort of wadding/padding to absorb some of that shock and spread it over the whole paintball.

Steve

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Sounds like a hemi-spherical sabot is in order for testing!

AND, looking at Terry C.'s link cannonfuse.com has empty paintballs in SEVERAL SIZES!

If this works, we can get rich from folks paying us a nominal fee to use up the odds and ends of latex paint they have in their basements!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts

Uh, I don't think I would want to take a hit from one of those little plastic ball shells! :eek:

Some of those bigger paper shells would hold a LOT of paint!

The possibilities... :twisted:

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Terry C. said:
Uh, I don't think I would want to take a hit from one of those little plastic ball shells! :eek:

Some of those bigger paper shells would hold a LOT of paint!

The possibilities... :twisted:

I think it would be neither sane nor safe to have ANYONE down range - even with blanks.

Look! There in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! NO, it's SUPER PAINT BALL!

DD - cannon art - eh?

Is this a new contest? Might be difficult to set up the rules.

To quote Kipling, "That's prety, but is it art?"

·
Registered
1,524 Posts

I was only kidding, I ain't gonna play cannon target fer nobody!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Terry C. said:
I was only kidding, I ain't gonna play cannon target fer nobody!

Naw! I figure when we load the mortars with tennis balls you'd be first in line in right field with your glove!

·
Registered
430 Posts

Cannon art? Were back to the basket of balls again. 13 differnt colors at the same time: balls the size of 12 pdr.s Quite a splat! color everwhere.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

guardsgunner said:
Cannon art? Were back to the basket of balls again. 13 differnt colors at the same time: balls the size of 12 pdr.s Quite a splat! color everwhere.

That would give Jackson Pollack a run for his money!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts