Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
22,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got my lower built. Wont get an upper till after the holidays but have been slowly buying things. I saw midway had a sale on speer 120 grain gold dots for 11 bucks a 50. I bought 10 boxes. Figured at that price if they don't work well on deer or shoot well there still cheap enough blasting bullets. Reviews on them have people saying there a good deer bullet but id really like an opinion from someone I know. Anyone here try them or know of someone who did?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Lloyd,

I have worked them up for my Grendel. Shoot well with CFE223. Haven't killed anything with them yet, but will be taking it to TX in a few weeks and hope to then. Much smaller deer than here, a large buck will go 110-120lbs dressed.

Going on brand reputation and construction style I'm hoping for good results.

Terry

·
Premium Member
16,456 Posts
Lloyd this is my Howa Bolt shooting 26g AR-Comp and a 120 GD. My gun allows long seating 2.325 so I can take advantage of the increased powder cap. This load averages just shy of 2580 last week in my 22” Bbl.

I shot my largest body deer last season with this load. The deer weighed 163 # after hanging a couple days. I didnt have good results. Speer told me it was going too fast. The Speer manual lists appropriate loads from 2400-2600. The bullet went in 30cal. Took out most of tail on on side lung and a small baseball from off side lung and DIDNT EXIT!! It heavily bruised the off side brisket area. No bones hit. I am gonna use this bullet again as most every report about its use is good. Im calling it a quirk. The deer was killed and recovered. (Tracking was zero blood. As entrance was hi lung and exit “would” have been arm Pit area. But it didnt have exit. Not big bodied buck for sure.

Just to be safe, I know you know but anyone reading this PEASE Check this load as I am pretty sure its too warm in a 2.260 oal.

A other load is 26.5g Benchmark under a 123SST is also a shooter in mine! (The target with the paster) this was a 10 shot group shot with different scope zoom settings. The five to the right where shot at 2.5x the 2” high was @ 4X the 3 oclock shot is 10x and the three in the single hole was 8X. I have a but of a parallax issue...:/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif. All shot @ 100 yards.

CW

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,456 Posts
Rifle magazine has a special issue this month on many of the 6.5’s.
Here is the two Grendel hand bools with tons of data and good information on bullets and powders plus the history and linage of the 6.5 grendel.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,456 Posts
If ya need more data I can scan and PM from what I have Lloyd.

I was shootin mine final time before the season and after a good cleaning.

120 Sierra, 120 Gold Dot & 123 SST all shot 1” or amaller at 100.

5A667010-D65B-4C0C-B86F-29AC765F3ED2_1573153334203.jpg

Very happy with this lil Howa.

CW

·
22,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
all shot with the same load????? Either way that's one fine shooting little pop gun you have there!

View attachment 236166

CW

·
Premium Member
16,456 Posts
all shot with the same load????? Either way that's one fine shooting little pop gun you have there!

View attachment 236166

CW
No but the Gold Dot and Sierra ARE SAME!

The 95g & 123 SST are both Benchmark.

Yes, thank you, ts a good shooter!

CW

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
don't they make that cal. in nosler partition? the best bullet I have ever used, from elk to mule deer, to whitetail deer. shot all of them with them and all of them worked as they should.

·
Premium Member
16,456 Posts
Yes, Nosler makes 125 & 140 partitions.

But the lil grendel is a under powdered caliber generally a Partition is utilized in a larger or more powerful caliber.

The 125 is surely within its wheel house! I have tried it but hadn't yet found a load as accurate.
Barnes also has some excellent TSX & TTSX bullets.

CW

CW

·
22,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
to me where partitions shine is taking game a tad to big for your choice in the gun you took along. Like killing elk with a 2506 ect. They just don't do the internal damage a cup and core bullet does and especially on light big game like deer. They also shine in something like 223 on deer. Mostly because the normal bullets for the 223 are designed for shooting 5 lb animals and blowing them to smithereens. Another downside to them is ive tried them in MANY guns and feel lucky when I can get moa accuracy with them. There not an extremely accurate bullet in most guns. Ive always said the real PREMIUM bullet for deer hunting is a cup and core bullet like an sst, ballistic tip, sierra pro hunter, interlock or speer hot core.

·
22,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
did some gun swapping yesterday with a buddy. part of the deal was me giving him some cast bullets for a few boxes of 6.5s. One was a full box of 129 ssts. I know the 123sst is designed for the Grendel but was wondering if you or anyone else shot deer with the 129. I see Alexander arms loads it in there factory Grendel ammo. Is it something I should bother working a load up for or should I just pass them to someone with a bigger gun. Keep in mind my goal is a 200 yard deer gun. Not a paper puncher. I also picked up 5 boxes of 100 grain Hornady interlocks that are discontinued. Any experience with them. Looking at the loading data there getting 2700 fps out of them and that's squarely I 243 territory.

·
Premium Member
16,456 Posts
Another 6.5 grendel question for dinny or anyone

I have shot Reg 129 Hornadys in the Grendel, but not into game. I would not think twice. I HAVE shot a Fallow and Pig with that bullet (129 Hornady) from my 6.5/06 @ 3000+ and it expanded past the cannalure... In my experience I have yet to see a “tough” SST of any flavor. NOT BAD MOUTHING THEM!! Just saying they easily expand. As long as Impact vel is over 1800 your in like Flynn.

I have read guys killin deer and hogs with a 100g. To me its light. But I haven’t killed with it.

You have excellent opportunity to find out as a CD shooter.

CW

·
22,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks cw. So far ive got a box of the 129s, 300 120 gold dots, 500 100grain interlocks, a 100 corelocks 120s and a 100 sierra 120s. I will probably pick up a couple boxes of 123 ssts too. Like you my experience with ssts is over expansion if anything. Ive used them in my 240 wby and my 300 wsm and they were bombs in both of them but I was told the 129 is designed for 260 and above and it being a bit to slow to expand is why they came out with the 123. but that's internet bs and I have found a couple people that use them for deer and pigs and especially with pigs guys rave about them.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Here's a couple more data points for you - I'm loading the 120gr Speer Gold Dot to about 2350fps from a 16" AR, to mag length, with CFE223.

First deer was a 90lb whitetail buck. 100 yard rib shot, from in behind the shoulder to out just ahead of the diaphragm. Deer ran 40yds, wobbled, and fell. Not much external bleeding but not needed for tracking either. Caliber hole in, pinky sized hole out. Took out both lungs and the liver. Performed like a slightly "hard" bullet.

Second was a 120lb Axis buck at 60yds. Clipped the back of both shoulders, all muscle no blade or shoulder bones. Did hit a rib square on the in side, blew that out and the exit from the ribcage was about thumb sized. Hole in the skin was smaller than that, but left a decent trackable blood trail. Again, 40 yard run, wobble, and over. No tracking needed. Both lungs showed about a inch hole bored thru the middle.

Overall, I'm happy with both the caliber and bullets. I think with the velocity I'm giving up with a 16", it is acting on the "hard" side, which I prefer. I'd rather be able to break a shoulder and exit, instead of knocking them over on rib shots but giving up penetration. Also seeing some similarity in the deer reaction to bigger, slower bullets, like my 44x1.8 (265gr FTX at 2100MV). More of a hole bored thru and a 40yd run, instead of turning both the vitals and the meat into soup like a 7mag or '06.

Wasn't quite sure what to expect before the hunt, now I'm very confident in this being a solid whitetail/pig gun at reasonable ranges. I've got a box of 120gr Nosler BT's on the shelf but not feeling like I need to find a better bullet now.

Terry

·
22,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
im not into lobing bullets to a 1000 yards or even 500. that said the bullet so far that im hoping works out is the 100 grain interlock. It can be pushed to 2700 in a 16 in barrel and that's 243 territory. Should fly pretty flat out to 300 yards and im sure not considering anything more then that for this little round.

·
22,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
first congrats to your daughter!! That's an interesting bullet. At first look I though bonded?? Not in a slow round like the Grendel. But I checked and they claim expansion down to 1300fps with is lower then a ballistic tip. Id sure like to see some results out at 200 yards with that bullet. You talk on the gold dot has me nervous on that one. Fields we shoot in are absolutely miserable to track deer in if they get out of the field. Elephant grass as tall as me for 50 yards then thick cedar swamps after that. I like a bullet that does massive damage and dumps them in the field. unlike regular deer season when a guy is looking for a trophy and might only have one crack and may need to take a raking shot that needs some penetration. For us doing crop damage. We can wait for a perfect shot and if it doesn't present itself just wait for the next one. that and most years we have snow in deer season so tracking isn't all that difficult. Want some real confusion. Shoot 3 deer and have three blood trails in the elephant grass in the same area and youll find yourself walking in circles.
42 yard slam dunk for the Grendel shooting a 129 Nosler ABLR. My daughter's first deer.

Internal damage was massive!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Thanks Lloyd, I will pass along the congrats.

The 129 ABLR is the bullet for us with the 1300 fps low expansion threshold. This was a sample size of only 1 so far, but we are trying to get her on a buck now. Had three come in last Tuesday morning and 2 did not stop in any shooting lanes (too many saplings in the woods). The third was a little half-rack and she wouldn't even pick the gun up for that one. :)

We also shoot the 120 GoldDot, but only use it for punching paper, water bottles, and milk jugs at the range. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on a coyote. I would probably limit its use on deer to 200 yards and closer just because it seems that it does not expand near as easily as the ABLR.

As far as penetration, Abbie's hit was just right (our left) of center on the deer's brisket, destroyed a 6" section of the front ribs, and nicked the heart. The ABLR was recovered from the flank just in front of the deer's left hind leg. Recovered bullet weight was 96.2 grains. I had to do a lot of wiping, brushing, and hosing out of the body cavity because off all the mess from the stomach and intestines.

I normally don't advocate such a shot angle on a meat deer because of the mess it makes, but I wanted her to get her first deer under her belt. We will work on letting the deer get into better position next year. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts